Dumaguete Info Search

Motorcycle Safety - Gear - Accidents - Personal Experiences

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by Rye83, Dec 21, 2015.

1. midway

midway DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    Local for me is Virginia Beach, the helmet is a modular Bilt techno helmet. They sell here for about $200.00. If you find a place to order one from the sizes run small.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Frodo

Frodo DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +137 / 0
    My Spyder has a drop down sun shade, which I loved, but it malfunctioned after a few months (guess the plastic holding pins wore out).

On a related note, tinted visors work well against the sun, but my gf told me PNP tends to stress about tinted visors, especially with full-face helmets, and especially if in tandem on the motorbike, because that is how motorbike assassins like to dress.

A drop down sun shade is a good choice because it can be popped up if/when approaching a PNP checkpoint. My philosophy is to reduce an officer's tension if/when I encounter them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    This is just people trying to appeal to emotion. They just don't want the helmet law (I'm no fan of it either, even though I always wear one.....I have no problem with the population of stupid people being decreased). Another motorbike assassin and thief favorite is to wrap their heads up in t-shirts (something that normal, non-criminal, people wear quite often on their heads out in the province to protect themselves from the sun) to hide their identities. Should the government ban t-shirts being put on heads as well because there are people who use it improperly? I guess while they are at it they should ban Halloween masks, surgical masks, women's leggings, large socks, ski-masks, Santa beards, sun glasses....basically popular head apparel that could potentially be used to hide your identity. :rolleyes: The drop down sun visors are absolutely no different than full tinted visors when I comes to hiding your identity. A fully tinted front visor can be opened up at a PNP checkpoint just as easily as the internal pop-down sun visors.

If people want to argue against fully tinted front visors there is a much more logical argument to make: if the front visor is always tinted that makes driving at night extremely dangerous without driving around with the visor open.

Driving with limited vision isn't nearly as scary as assassins though....so they don't make that argument. :meh:But in reality one if far more dangerous and likely to end up killing you than the other. Hint: the more dangerous one isn't an assassin for the large majority of people.

4. Frodo

Frodo DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +137 / 0
    Thank
    Thanks, Wrye. I fully support minimal government regulation and I appreciate the Philippine government not trying to regulate us to death. Like you, I always wear a helmet while respecting other people's right to choose not to wear a helmet. In America there are soooooo many laws & regulations & I read the average citizen unknowingly commits felonies on a regular basis. I hope the Philippines never gets to that point!

5. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The difference between the US and here is that the Philippines has absolutely no social healthcare to speak of. If someone busts their heads open on the road or flies through a windshield it will be on the taxpayers to foot the bill if they don't have insurance in the US/West......here you just get left on the hospital steps to bleed out. They value of life here very little and being stupid is far more risky and dangerous than in the West.....and I'm perfectly fine with that.

• Agree Agree x 2