Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Moving from uk

1. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    I must admit that our son's education was one of the big considerations on deciding whether to move here. but not the only one. He was 10 yrs when we moved last year.

We made sure that we have the funds to enrol him in a private school, the fees for which are expensive for a Filipino to bear, but cheap by western standards. I would say that his level of education is about on par with a UK state school for that age. I regularly check/assist with his home working modules and some of the maths is beyond my understanding, but his grades for two terms this school year have been good in all subjects.

He did not want to move here, but has settled well, even through the lockdown that has been in place for eight of our twelve months here. He's looking forward to playing football again (maybe 2022!).

Another financial consideration is that I've ensured that there's enough money aside for him to make choices when the time comes - he might decide he wants to go to university in the UK, or elsewhere, but I gather Silliman is good otherwise.

I think the gist of it for me is, public education here is probably sub-standard compared to the UK, but if you have the financial wherewithal, a good education can be found.

The other considerations for life here vs UK speak for themselves - the weather; the lifestyle; the extended family; early retirement; less stress, once you get used to the quirks.

But if you come, choose your location carefully, considering the local environment, neighbours, amenities, access, cost, closeness of chosen school etc. There are a lot of horror stories posted here about noise and neighbour issues etc and I thank the stars that we are lucky in that respect.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    I came here in the early 80's with 23 other expat family's to work on a government project. I didn't have any young kids but most did,, During the contract term many of those young kids started to attend school.. It was a shock to most and as soon as the contract was over they picked up and went back to their home country's. I enjoyed the life here and remained living here even though i was working all over the world while living here.. It was a good place to live. Eventually i had children here and inherited a couple as well. Two step sons brought up in the public school system as they kept getting thrown out of private schools for discipline problems and drug use. Normal for 100% Filipino males.. Finished high school but total dead beats. I have asked the eldest who is now 40 what 15 plus 7 is since he was around 16 years old.. Still needs to use his fingers to figure that out.. Two daughters went to a Catholic School here from Grade 1 on up to College Graduation.. Don't have a clue about Geography, Math and Science is a complete mystery. Religious study's good grades and of course Singing and Dancing 100%. One is now a Dentist after another 6 years in Dental School in Cebu and the other is a Business/Entrepreneurship graduate working as a cashier in a box shop in Canada.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Have you really considered how this may affect your 12yr old Daughter, I'm so sure she will not like it here, in fact I will say this transition will be very traumatic for her? I guess she is unlikely to be fluent in the Visayan language considering her mother will likely speak Tagalog coming from Manila? Education here in the Philippines is so very bad, your Daughter at 12 will be better educated than a 16yr old here? the average IQ here in the Philippines is around 86 compare this to the average of 100 in UK, this low IQ figure is all down to the poor Education system here, for the most part even the Private Schools here are no better than the Government Schools back in UK.
    My Daughter back in UK from the age of 12 to 16yrs was a nightmare to her mother and I, before and after these years she was as good as they get. Think twice before you uproot yours from the stability she has at this present time?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Unless things have changed dramatically in the last few years this is probably, IMO, the most disgusting city in the region. Ridiculous number of trikes, disgusting amount of pollution, extremely overcrowded, trash everywhere and some of the most frustrating drivers and traffic. I would move to the most crowded area of Cebu before I ever considered that city.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Unfortunately true. At least for Dumaguete. We left when our daughter was 4 years old because I just did'nt find any good school here. Now she is 16 years old and in Europe with my wife. For myself this means unfortunately kind of a 50/50 life until she has finished her studies. So more travelling. But we only have one daughter, so it's worth it. In Dumaguete it would be difficult for her to find a decent job later on if she would have stay here.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    Carcar has without a doubt the stupidest drivers in the Philippines and is a sh*t hole.. Naga is 20 kms up it.. A lot of foreigners have now found out about Toledo and Balamban and surroundings on the west coast.. nice beaches, decent shopping, a few small restaurants. An hour and a half drive over the mountains and you are in Cebu City..

• Like Like x 4
  7. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    It also depends on whether the 'outlaws' are regular beneficiaries from your income.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Didi&Aira

Didi&Aira DI Junior Member Blood Donor Army Active Duty

Ratings:
    +23 / 2
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Live far away from the relatives to control your budget.
    Indeed, every reason is good to get money.
    it took me years but we're ready to see and meet them without going to the ATM :wink:.
    In 17 months from now we will go live in the Philippines but a few islands away from my wife's family.
    I will be glad to meet you all somewhere in Dumaguete! :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Education was one of the things my wife and I discuss a lot and like the OP planning a move, we have kids 9 & 13.

For us the kids are born in Cebu so speak the lingo daily at home.

We decided we will home school the kids using the Australian Curriculum. May hire a teacher a few sessions a week.

International school is another option but a bit out of a lot of peoples budget.

Private schools seamed to be ok, ours went to a Montessori school in Cebu and transitioned well when they came to Australia. The Montessori system seamed to be good.

Its a big consideration for anyone making the move that has kids.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Whatever perks that city offers is completely offset by that nightmare of a highway running through it and the pollution for me. I have maybe walked a total of 100 meters on the boulevard in Dumaguete in over the last 10 years, it just doesn't interest me so having that just doesn't cut it for me. Also, I don't live in Dumaguete and would never want to. If a boardwalk is important to you (or whatever else it has that you haven't mentioned) and you can overlook one of the nastiest and most dangerous stretches of highway in the region running straight through the town then more power to ya. It is still a hard pass for me.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1