Dumaguete Info Search

Moving from uk

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Kalbo3553, Nov 30, 2020.

1. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    White Man; you speak with forked Tongue, the education system here is not anywhere close to being OK, if fact you are even talking against what you said earlier when you mention the Teachers advice?
    It stands to reason if the people of the Philippines have a low average IQ of 86 the Education system is at fault, Filipinos are not born stupid they are made that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    I came here in the early 80's with 23 other expat family's to work on a government project. I didn't have any young kids but most did,, During the contract term many of those young kids started to attend school.. It was a shock to most and as soon as the contract was over they picked up and went back to their home country's. I enjoyed the life here and remained living here even though i was working all over the world while living here.. It was a good place to live. Eventually i had children here and inherited a couple as well. Two step sons brought up in the public school system as they kept getting thrown out of private schools for discipline problems and drug use. Normal for 100% Filipino males.. Finished high school but total dead beats. I have asked the eldest who is now 40 what 15 plus 7 is since he was around 16 years old.. Still needs to use his fingers to figure that out.. Two daughters went to a Catholic School here from Grade 1 on up to College Graduation.. Don't have a clue about Geography, Math and Science is a complete mystery. Religious study's good grades and of course Singing and Dancing 100%. One is now a Dentist after another 6 years in Dental School in Cebu and the other is a Business/Entrepreneurship graduate working as a cashier in a box shop in Canada.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    A sad story and you have my sympathy, the only part i would challenge is the 100%, probably only 99.9%

4. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Education was one of the things my wife and I discuss a lot and like the OP planning a move, we have kids 9 & 13.

For us the kids are born in Cebu so speak the lingo daily at home.

We decided we will home school the kids using the Australian Curriculum. May hire a teacher a few sessions a week.

International school is another option but a bit out of a lot of peoples budget.

Private schools seamed to be ok, ours went to a Montessori school in Cebu and transitioned well when they came to Australia. The Montessori system seamed to be good.

Its a big consideration for anyone making the move that has kids.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    I must admit that our son's education was one of the big considerations on deciding whether to move here. but not the only one. He was 10 yrs when we moved last year.

We made sure that we have the funds to enrol him in a private school, the fees for which are expensive for a Filipino to bear, but cheap by western standards. I would say that his level of education is about on par with a UK state school for that age. I regularly check/assist with his home working modules and some of the maths is beyond my understanding, but his grades for two terms this school year have been good in all subjects.

He did not want to move here, but has settled well, even through the lockdown that has been in place for eight of our twelve months here. He's looking forward to playing football again (maybe 2022!).

Another financial consideration is that I've ensured that there's enough money aside for him to make choices when the time comes - he might decide he wants to go to university in the UK, or elsewhere, but I gather Silliman is good otherwise.

I think the gist of it for me is, public education here is probably sub-standard compared to the UK, but if you have the financial wherewithal, a good education can be found.

The other considerations for life here vs UK speak for themselves - the weather; the lifestyle; the extended family; early retirement; less stress, once you get used to the quirks.

But if you come, choose your location carefully, considering the local environment, neighbours, amenities, access, cost, closeness of chosen school etc. There are a lot of horror stories posted here about noise and neighbour issues etc and I thank the stars that we are lucky in that respect.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    What is the name of the school your child is attending?
    Thanks.

7. Always a Poppy

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Montessori.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    We had a good experience with Montessori in Cebu as per my post above.

Could you please share the schools contact details or PM me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Always a Poppy

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. OP
    OP
    Kalbo3553

Kalbo3553 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 3