Dumaguete Info Search

Moving to Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by DJ Jones, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Pigbelk007

Pigbelk007 DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +28 / 4
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hi and Thank You PatO, I've written to Don Bosco through their Facebook page as that's all I had to go by in order to contact them, but It's been a week without any response. I know things move slower in the Philippines and that is one of the reasons we are moving back away from the rushed pace and extremely stressful way of life here in the states that take years off your life. One International is like 5 times the price of other schools and a bit out of my budget unless someone that knows can justify paying 265,000 pesos a year without transportation compared to 30-40 thousand pesos for most other Private Schools. PatO if you have any website, e-mails or contact information for any and all schools you mentioned I would be forever grateful to you for you continued help and friendship you have shown me and my family on any and all questions we ask here in preparation for our return to life in paradise. Thanks again Buddy! Also can you or anyone help with guidance once flying into Cebu on a place to stay there for a week or so before heading to Dumaguete and if we should fly from Cebu to Dumaguete or take the Ferry? We'll have lots of luggage. Also a place in Dumaguete to stay for a few weeks that is centrally located so we can search for an apartment nearer to schools and shopping and bus route for schools. All help is welcomed and much appreciated!

2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I have a hard time talking about schools before I start getting off-track.

To me, school was largely about good environment and good instructors.

Each school will have its good and bad instructors. I don't know how to find them other than talking to other parents.

The environment is best investigated in person. See if you can arrange a tour with your child. Put in your vote, have the child put in a vote, order the alternates and then see if you can come to a consensus. I like gut feelings, personality and just generally a comfortable environment.

I put some kids through Foundation Elementary school. Walking around that campus put me at ease. It's a beautiful campus and I could picture myself there as a child. I have put others through Holy Cross, but I haven't been inside. From the outside it appears more urban. It's downtown among the hustle and bustle with lots of concrete.

You might also think about the type of kids who go to each school. One kid complained that Holy Cross has a lot of rich kids who think they can do whatever they like because they are well off. That could result in some bullying and disruption. On the other hand, it might be good to have friends with money and learn how to deal with them.

My own complaint with pretty much all these schools is that they keep the kids pretty late. With activities they can sometimes get home anywhere from 5 - 8. When I was that age, my day started AFTER school ended. I HATED school and I would have started a riot if I could't have substantial free time. Learning happens outside the classroom as well as inside the classroom and unstructured learning is essential.

Here is a list of schools, but Silliman and Foundation also have Elemetary / High School so don't use this as your only reference.

List of schools in Dumaguete - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Put away the computer command center and instead go for the "boots on the ground" approach.

Personally, if I were to go to school here, I would hope that I supplement that effort with lots of reading and writing on subjects which are of interest to me. Writing and speaking in English well is really important, and even people in the U.S. have a hard time with it. It's actually hard to get right, so you can only get that with lots of practice. Encourage your child to read and write. Pretty much everything else is pick it up as you need it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Pigbelk007

Ratings:
    +28 / 4
    Blood Type:
    O+
    My 7 year old daughter was born there in the Philippines but for the past 5 years she's lived here in the States and attended school here and lots of home teaching and reading and having fun with Mom, dad, friends and family. She's advanced in all aspects of school topics and smart as a whip. Just worried she may be taking a step backwards or held back from learning because of her fast pace. She speaks English only with a Boston accent and no Bisayan or Tagalog with the exception of a few words and phrases here and there. In your opinion will she have a hard time? especially not knowing the language? They speak strictly English in the private schools don't they?

4. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Don't worry too much about the language, youngsters soon pick up new language's.

5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    They do.

6. Ten Twenty Lenny

Ten Twenty Lenny DI Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 3
  7. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    [QUOTE=" They speak strictly English in the private schools don't they?[/QUOTE]
    We have 3 offspring now in Grade School to Grad School. Aside from the $5-10K per year foreign-charted schools they all abide by DepED schedules and requirements. Local languages are used through Grade 3 and Tagalog language classes and subjects in Tagalog are required through college. There is no consideration for foreign kids, but some schools let you pay way out with 'special' classes. Some schools provide to 'advance' your child a grade or two. Be sure to ask.
    When DepEd decrees art activities using Popsicle sticks, all schools public and private require Popsicle sticks, and the local stores are soon out-of-stock.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I believe if your daughter only speaks English, she is better off going to a private school like Cittidini or Don Bosco. Both are located very close to the Robinson's Mall and have buses.
    The majority of students are local filipinos with some half foreigners.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Pigbelk007

Ratings:
    +28 / 4
    Blood Type:
    O+
    What about Sillman University Elementary School? Don Bosco never replied back to me on Facebook. Do they have a a real website? I saw nothing on Cittidini either aside from Facebook.

10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    I am not totally sure you will doing the right thing about total English Speaking. Your Daughter will need to interact with the local kids at some stage and by keeping her away from the language it may not help her to develop. Age 7 kids here are already being taught English and many can speak quite well.
    When my Eldest was in Spain with me I had the same problem as you but the School in Cadiz made a few exceptions for her but she mastered it all well. The local kids will enjoy practicing their English on your daughter and visa - versa. At 7 Kids just soak up everything and you will find that they will just love to interact with a Friend that is different.

JMHO But worth thinking about.

BTW my Daughter is now a Lawyer in Barcelona.:wink:

JP :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1