Dumaguete Info Search

Moving to Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by DJ Jones, Aug 15, 2014.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I don't think anyone said anything about total English only. If a public school class is taught only in Visayan, an English speaking kid could not learn as fast as the other students and might struggle early on. At my boy's school, it is taught in English but when playing most of the kids talk to each other in Visayan. An alternative is to hire a Visayan tudor to help her learn Visayan faster. My boy picked up Visayan quite easy from his cousins and my in-laws, so I agree his daughter should learn Visayan as soon as practical.

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I think Pat this may be where any confusion may have come from,:facepalm:

My answer was very much in line with what you have said. Kids are very much like Sponges and I am sure all will be well.:wink:

JP :thumbsup:

3. Pigbelk007

Pigbelk007 DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +28 / 4
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Understood Jack and Thank You for helping explain and making me aware as what needs and should be done. She is excited to learn a new language and is more than willing to accept any and all challenges along the way. But like anything in life, it takes time and practice and we're thinking she'll be fine and if need be we will certainly obtain a Tudor to expedite the mastering aspect of the language. I appreciate your advice once again my friend.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I still think you should just wait until you get here before you get too much into school selection. It's like online dating. Months of online chatter doesn't equal 5 minutes of face time.

As you have found, the web is largely non-existent here. It appears that Silliman has a decent site, but that would be like the only place in town which does. Facebook is the internet here, but who knows if there is anyone competent behind that account for monitoring questions and responding.

Just walk through the front door and start talking to people.

Don't worry about the kid and language. The only person worrying and having a hard time is the parent. Kids are more resilient and capable than we think they are.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1