Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: MSG is it bad for you?

1. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I don't think MSG is banned in the States either (not sure if it's banned). But I do know that many restaurants now advertise on or near a front door, or on a very prominate area where an in-coming customer can see that it is an "MSG Free" establishment. I've seen small stickers that have the red slash line and the red circle around a black MSG in the middle, too. I've also seen "NO MSG" on printed menus, or an asteric next to the printed menu item that DOES use MSG.

Anyway, all these kinds of little things have turned a negative into a positive for many of their patrons. And I can knowingly select anything on the menu and be able to fully enjoy my meal - and be able to return again and again and again.

To me, this just makes good business sense as people like me will also bring their family and friends to eat there, too. I don't have to make sure anyone in my group has an MSG problem in advance as the restaurant doesn't use MSG.

Problem solved!

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Like Like x 4
  2. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Even the fresh organic markets are in on the selling cyanide racket - next time you are at one look for the codename "Apple" :2rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pompolino

Pompolino DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +404 / 53
    Hi Alex, actually it's not band in Australia but any restaurant using it must advertise the fact. Therefore very few use it these days. From what I've read above it seems to be the same as the U.S.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i'd like to see a list of restaurants in the Duma area that DON'T use msg

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Not sure about the effects of MSG like what you're reporting.

But I always know there is MSG in my food because it seems to make a slight tingling/numbing sensation in my mouth or tongue. It can also cause a numbing sensation in the area where my jaw bone connects to the facial bone.

It's been that way for me ever since I was a kid when MSG was frequently used in the Chinese food restaurant my folks always took us to. MSG isn't used so much any more in the States, and restaurants are supposed to post that they use MSG.

But I can tell when it is used in food I eat, so when I get that tingling/numbing sensation, I simply must stop eating the food.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Pompolino

Pompolino DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +404 / 53
    MSG and Chinese Restaurant Syndrome: Causes and Effects

Don't agree. Please see the above link. I have no medical training and certainly Google is no substitute for a medical degree BUT there are thousands of sites claiming just that in a search. Anecdotal evidence and scientific evidence is strong of cause and effect with MSG and I have been personally susceptible to MSG with headaches, sweats but particularly weird dreams.

• Informative Informative x 2