Dumaguete Info Search

MSG is it bad for you?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Rye83, Mar 11, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    But never mind all this MSG talk, did you know the food industry has been subjecting us ALL to a monoester with cobinamide cyanide hydroxide for a long LONG time?! Yes, cyanide! And the FDA is completely OK with this and actually recommends we all consume it! :wideyed:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Even the fresh organic markets are in on the selling cyanide racket - next time you are at one look for the codename "Apple" :2rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  3. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I don't know about all the rest of the MSG thing -- only what it does to me -- which is a minor inconvenience, but why have it in my diet if I don't need it anyway?. So I avoid it to be on the safe side.

I suspect we all ingest chemicals of various kinds from all the stuff commercial farmers put in the soil, spray on the soil and on the plants we eventually eat.

But I cannot comment on the chemical you have named. Aren't you referring to Vitamin B-12 compound?

nwlivewire

4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is very hard to know every chemical/ingredient in a dish if it came out of a restaurant's kitchen....if you cooked it yourself it's impossible to know what chemicals your ingredients came into contact with unless you grew/raised all the ingredients yourself. Any reactions most likely comes from something else in the food because MSG quickly dissociates (breaks down) into sodium and glutamate in our bodies. One of which you do need in your diet.

Sodium is an essential nutrient, I believe most people know if they need to regulate that in their diet or not. Glutamate is a non-essential amino acid, but it is the most abundant and important free amino acid in the brain. Since our brain produces it's own glutamate, and because it is so important (and too much of it in the brain is very very bad for you), our brains regulate very closely how much glutamate passes through the blood brain barrier. So it doesn't matter how much you eat (of course everything has a toxicity level), if you brain doesn't need glutamate it simply isn't going to use it. If have a problem (read: a disease) with too much or too little glutamate passing the BBB you are going to have much bigger concerns than making sure a bit of Magic Sarap doesn't get into your food.

Considering the topic here I think it ironic that an enzime used to control sodium intake (Na+/K+ pump) indirectly regulates how glutamate passes the BBB. :laugh:

Yes, I was referring to vitamin B12. :rolleyes: Which would fall under the "chemical of various kinds" category you speak of. :wink: I not sure why the word "chemical" are being used in a derogatory/negative manner though. We consume, breath and touch thousands of different chemicals everyday, we are chemicals.

chemical: any substance that is formed when two or more other substances act upon one another or that is used to produce a change in another substance.
    Things that are chemicals:
    • Gases
    • Liquids
    • Solids
    • Plasma
    So pretty much all of this:
    PeriodicTableMeltingPoint.png

Things that are not chemicals:
    • heat
    • kinetic energy
    • gravity
    • potential energy
    • light

I was actually speaking of vitamin B12. :wink: Apples do naturally contain cyanide.....as well as sodium.....and glutamate. :rolleyes: This is what gets me about these "all natural" health websites, that are the ones usually pushing the MSG bs. Just because something is "natural" does not mean you should put it in your body nor does it mean that it is good for you. Clostridium botulinum is naturally occurring but I wouldn't recommend putting much of that in your body (fatal dose is 1.3 to 2.1 nanograms per kilogram). Toxicity is about dosage, almost anything can be safely consumed at the right levels.

I would suggest to anyone, especially those that don't plan on cooking for themselves at home every day, that believe they suffer from some kind of "allergy" to sodium or glutamate to go see a food allergist before you make a move to the Philippines (or anywhere else in Asia) to find out what your real-non-placebo-effect food allergies or pseudoallergies are. I'd suggest this because monosodium (salt) glutamate (found in all kinds of foods), aka MSG, is used by lazy and untalented cooks and "chefs" all over this country and Asia (note: soy sauce is loaded with the stuff.....and nothing is more "Asian" than soy sauce). I also suggest you brush up on your cooking skills before coming even if you don't have a problem with sodium or glutamate.....because the flavor "savory" that is a result from cooking with MSG gets really old, really fast.

Note: I sarcastically quoted "allergy" because MSG has never been shown to create a idiosyncratic reaction or pseudoallergy in humans.....and that's probably because if anyone were to be allergic to sodium or glutamate they would have been dead shortly after they were conceived. :rolleyes:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    You very well could be correct in your assessment.

It IS quite possible there could have been some vegetable or other substance in the food I've eaten that has brought about the symptoms I've experienced when eating at some types of Chinese food restaurants.

My minor reactions to some some of the Chinese food I've eaten in some restaurants could be from a vegetable or ingrediant I don't usually eat, or it could be from MSG combined with whatever was in that dish.

Who knows. Though I have eaten various foods all around the world, to include having ingested foods while in many parts of Asia, I've not experienced much sensitivity to things prepared and have NOT known in advance whether MSG was used in the preparation of the dishes. So you may be correct in this aspect.

Still, no intentional use of MSG for me please. Low doses of many types of things are not immediately toxic or immediately life threatening. Mixing and matching different types of substances may or may not create minor reactions.

Who knows. All things in moderation....

V/R,
    nwlivewire

6. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    Cyanide is an ingredient or element in common table salt. May be good for because it may have the ability to kill bacteria. Am I right or wrong?

7. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    No..... your right & good thing you reminded me as I was about to ship 100 pound sack to the in laws. :bored: Perhaps some powdered caffeine instead!:angelic:

• Funny Funny x 3