Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Music to make love to or not?

1. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    My background has been steeped in MUSIC from quite an early age and has continued throughout my life for the most part, but you are right I am (Living in the Past) which was one of the only two songs to chart done in 5/4 time signature, not many could name the other one? that 15yrs from 1960 to 1975 was the very best time ever in my opinion, like many teenagers I had a guitar and wanted to be like the Beatles, Stones or the Who! Pete Townsend he could jump up and down and play the Guitar at the same time Wow! that impressed me? later I realised he was about the shittiest Guitarist of these times, it was not all that much later when the likes of Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck were starting to get better known, now I could bash out a few chords and play the Music of the Who, but what these other guys were doing was near impossible for me and I never touched a guitar again for 30yrs, of course there was so many others on the British Music scene, they were popping up everywhere, now about the time when I was around 14yrs just turning 15 I was at a local dance hall, a weekly event on every Monday and you had to be 16yrs or above to get in, but I knew the doorman, this one night a very different Band turned up, with the Guitarist dressed like Robin Hood all in Green, as soon as they started up everyone bar a few flocked to the door and asked for their two shillings entry fee back, I was one of the few that stayed, the rest that remained were mainly local Musicians, the Bands name was: Robert Plant and his Band of Joy, the Drummer was John Bonham, during the break I asked a local drummer that lived near to me, why did everyone leave, he then said to me something I will never forget, most people only want to listen to music that is very simple and something they can whistle along with, so that is where it really started for me, not long after I had the chance to see this very same Band again and they were just getting better, I had found a new Venue in the town and they were getting great Bands there every week, The Earth Band, later they changed their name to Black Sabbath, Ambrose Slade later they dropped the Ambrose, then it happened Jethro Tull appeared, this was a life changing moment for me and from then on I was fast tracked into understanding what good music really is, Tull was never a Band as such, it was Ian Anderson the one legged Flute player that dictated to all the rest he did all the writing and music compositions and the rest of the Band were paid session men, not that they had no input to the music, they were all players at the top of their game.

I could not define what Pop Music is but as mentioned before it needs to be simple and easy to whistle and mostly done in a 4/4 time signature with very simple lyrics a love story goes down well or perhaps a failed relationship, a Fairly Tail also appeals to the masses.

I have come to the conclusion that although the majority of people claim to like Music very few really listen to it or understand what it is about? for many it is just a background noise in their homes usually coming from a Wireless sorry I should say Radio and nearly always from a commercial Radio station with all the crap that goes with that.

My Son is a Musician he studied and gained a degree from the Birmingham Conservatoire of Music, I had the opportunity to meet many of his fellow students, one of which was a Drummer I asked him about the late John Bonham the Drummer from Zep, he went on to say Bonham has been a very big influence on most other Drummers and his style and patterns are taught in Schools, much the same story applies to Flute playing Ian Anderson has a style that others have great difficulty with and that come from a Flute playing student.

Later in life at the age of 48yrs I decided to have a go at the Guitar once more, this time I was that bit more focused and have put in thousands of hours of practise, I'm not trying to say I am a Musician more of a Magician as I can fool most people most of the time into thinking I am a real Player as long as they are not a Player themselves? however to my credit what I can say is: that box with six strings did help me remove many a pair of Panties.

It has been said already in this thread that people have different tastes in Music, in my opinion the examples you have given here of good Music as you know it, have little of any Musical content, it is just noise, if you think your SO is having a great Orgasm listening to this you are sadly mistaken, likely she is just pretending?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Garcia

Garcia DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +322 / 129
    Each to their own, however nothing wrong with a bit of Punk Dave, it is after all Punk ROCK, another genre like Grunge or Indie. There was a kind of golden age of music, however you cannot dismiss everything afterwards unless you're stuck in some kind of nostalgic time wharp. Which unfortunately some "Old Timers" are...
    I'm 67, first LP's bought were Abraxas Santana
    Black Sabbath Paranoid and Frank Zappa Hot Rats. Listened also to Hendrix, Steely Dan, Stones, Neil Young. The one to follow, dropped acid to was Floyd. Meddle, Dark Side, Relics, Wish you were here etc.
    Black Sabbath first band I saw live inside, around 1970/71. War Pigs -
    Punk was needed after the self indulgence of prog rock which went so far up it's own arse with ELP, Rick Wakeman on Ice and endless boring pompous ten minute guitar solos. Unlike real players to name a few, Hendrix, Beck, Santana.
    The Pistols one of the best stories in Rock n Rock. So you are clear NOFX are punk, Artic Monkeys are not.
    How about a bit of John Coltrane or Pharaoh Saunders?
    Rap, 2PAC -
    Hip hop N.W.A.
    Or Soundgarden, Linkin Park, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins?

Or the Johnny Cash version.
    https://youtu.be/8AHCfZTRGiI
    Blink-182, The Offspring, Nirvana.
    https://youtu.be/vVy9Lgpg1m8
    https://youtu.be/Abrn8aVQ76Q
    https://youtu.be/QtTR-_Klcq8
    Metallica have never been shy about their love of punk rock, covering everyone from The Misfits and Killing Joke to Discharge and The Ramones.
    Steely Dan, my favorite American band, small body of work really but timeless, perfection.
    Only band that came anywhere near Foyd was probably Radiohead.
    https://youtu.be/7AQSLozK7aA
    https://youtu.be/TNRCvG9YtYI
    One track worthy of listening to is
    Was Not Was - Somewhere in America theres a street named after my dad -
    https://youtu.be/CN9THg89Eas

Oh and no don't smoke and generally assume most here are 60+

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I did listen to the two tracks which you posted here, but to be brutally honest I think both these bands are complete garbage their Music is completely devoid of any actual Musical content, so I guess you did post on the wrong thread, better suited to where is the humour on here. understand this most of the members on here were teenagers in the 60's and 70's, this was a time when the best of modern music was produced at least up until 1975 and then Punk Rock happened it was all downhill after that, this modern shite just cannot compare to what we had then. there again you may be smoking something that may refine your particular Musical taste?

• Like Like x 2