Dumaguete Info Search

My motorcycle was impounded

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by pkrbrad, Dec 17, 2010.

1. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    In the US they would have simply ran the plate and the VIN number and it would have been in the computer and he would have been on his way. But yes, i do get your point...

Same when driving without with DL in posession. In the states they would ask him his name, DOB, and address and run him as N.I.P (Not in posession) and again, he would have been in the computer with a DL number. They then match the physical stats to ensure it's him

2. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    $48 in Long Beach, CA. and it's a citation on the windshield wiper. I'm assuming you had other tickets or expired registration you had to sort before getting your car out of the impound?

Towing in LB is $168 plus $28 a day impound storage fees.

How did your's get to $1000? Just curious

3. Island Guy

Island Guy DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Computers can work for you and against you. But in the states you can't drive it like you stole it without getting in serious trouble. Unlike P.I.
    Plus you don't have to worry about having a after dinner drink and getting stopped for a brake light and it leading to a 5k D.U.I. There's a pro to almost every con in this country. And the good usually always out weighs the annoying.

4. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    You make a good point there - Drinking and driving is a perfect mix! And really adds flavor with brake lights out. Now just add a little "drive it like you stole it" and it's really a marketing ploy for tourism and drawing in quality expats.

What a shame we can't drive drunk in america without taillights. What's the world coming to???

And the whole education campaign state-side about not texting while driving. Why not??? It works flawlessly here right

5. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I have to agree with expatron. Checkpoints tend to last 30 minutes tops because word gets around (usually within 10 minutes) and after 30 minutes its a waste of time. Plus how many could be saying "I have a license" or "I have my papers" but I "forgot" them at home. If they make a benefit for you they need to do for everyone else or again it isn't fair. As far as impounding your bike its the only way to guarantee a fine will be paid here. Most will rip them up or ignore them if their vehicle or bike isn't impounded.

I just think they need to always have a second standby checkpoint on wheels. Go in right behind those waiting on the side of the road because right there is a big group of those who shouldn't be driving! Still what do you do as LTO if people just drive through and don't stop? They aren't going to shoot, rarely do you see any LTO on bikes to try and catch you and that could be even more dangerous.