Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: National Enhanced Community Quarantine Unintended Consequences

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Nothing much to complain about. d*mn hot out, locked in, occasional brown out, occasional no water, very slow internet, out of wine, going to town painful, smelly fish cooking every night, wife starting to nag me.
    The good news: still above ground

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Let's not make excuses for laziness, nobody is being deprived of exercise. There is plenty of cardio to be had at home and around the house.

Doesn't matter if you are old and broken or in your prime, you can always get some cardio in without ever leaving the comfort of your living room.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. shakey

shakey DI Member Veteran Navy

economic refugee
    Ratings:
    +295 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O-
    National Enhanced Community Quarantine Unintended Consequences
    1. Cebu Pacific(Cebgo) and Philippine Airlines(PAL Express) have shut down all Domestic and International flights to mitigate the spread of Corona 19 virus.
    2. The provinces likewise have shutdown the ports which affect inter-island commerce from the shipping lines like 2GO.
    3. The airports have shutdown which are under control of the national agency CAAP (Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines)
    4. The goverment owned PhilPost which relies on the airlines and sea for sending and receiving mail and parcels is shut down.
    5. The low numbers of Corona 19 cases reported is the result of provinces being unable to receive testing kits and supplies and being cut-off for sending their samples to the University of the Philippines in Manila for analysis.
    6. The military is using it's resources fighting insurgents rather than assisting in this crisis.
    7. This virus is spread by humans which the National Enhanced Community Quarantine was intended to reduce exposure and it does.
    Discussion:
    While the National Enhanced Community Quarantine was not intended to impede Commerce it has done just that.
    There has to be government/private dialog between the airlines and shipping companies and a mechanism to shoulder the expenses incurred of flying and shipping Cargo Only without passengers. CEBGO is currently making two flights a day from Manila to Cagayan de Oro and General Santos. Restoration of flights to our 7,000+ islands as cargo only is possible but the government has to enable it and shoulder their share of the expense. Bulky or non critical materials could be shipped by sea for ships without passengers.
    Policy makers need to consider what we need to improve the National Enhanced Community Quarantine.
    shaky

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is inevitable if these quarantines keep getting extended. A large portion of the population was already desperate and barely able to feed themselves and their families. Forcing them to stay home for a month means they starve. Instead of the, roughly, 3% of people that would have died from the virus (very likely less than that with the asymptomatic) you will have 20-50% of your population being severely malnourished, at best, in very short order. The government needs to step up quickly if they want to avoid civil unrest (or they better make sure they keep their police and military very well fed and happy).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Getting back to the thread topic: unintended consequences. Now that Degamo has extended the ECQ order until the end of April, it is obvious that his office has not considered the health consequences for seniors who are deprived of even mild cardiovascular exercise. Will the Province cover the costs of those who develop deep vein thromboses, or other lethargy-induced illness? Even prisoners get to go out to the courtyard an get their bodies moving. I'm a senior and, though I will never be accused of being a gym rat, I always managed to at least get some walking in everyday in the pursuit of daily activities. They should have an hour everyday where seniors can just go take a walk without worrying about getting jammed into the local jail.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    I. Really don't want to see martial law anywhere. There are many people that just can not or will not follow simple instructions.
    Quarantine passes being issued was a failure in that many people were left stranded (at least legally stranded). With martial law they may end up in serious trouble for doing what they have to do to eat.
    On my limited trips to get food in Bacong I always see people hanging out doing nothing. If they continue then maybe martial law will be implemented here.
    If we end up with martial law you can thank the people that are too stupid or too stubborn to follow simple rules.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    I haven't spoken to my wife for years .... I don't like to interrupt her when she's talking.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • Genius Genius x 1
  8. fahr_side

fahr_side DI Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 23
    It’s not about results. It’s about optics. Doing something is going to be good enough to avoid blame when sh*t hits the fan. Politics.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    One would have thought that it goes without saying that _someone_ in Manila (don't they have a trade department or so?) felt responsible for taking care that inter island commerce doesn't stop.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Recent laptop order:

Total Before Tax: $387.58
    Import Fees Deposit: $54.70
    Shipment Total: $442.28

But if they over-estimate then they return some of the IFD:

" Reason for refund: Export fee reduced Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item: Import Fee Deposit Refund: $5.58"

• Informative Informative x 3