Dumaguete Info Search

National Enhanced Community Quarantine Unintended Consequences

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by shakey, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Mikal

Mikal DI Member

Ratings:
    +139 / 12
    I had 3 packages from Amazon sitting up there also, they got to Manila about the same time as yours, and all 3 were delivered yesterday. Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

The (UPS) driver said they had chartered a plane to bring a bunch of cargo down, probably included your shipment also...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Just curious, I use Amazon and go through Johnny Air in Bacolod. Do they deliver directly to your residence here and who do they use for delivery? Also, is the cost of having it delivered reasonable. Johnny Air can cost like 1,000p for a small package, and then there is the trip to Bacolod to see the relatives and check on what is needed to repair in the house. Also, what is the average delivery time, thanks in advance.

3. Mikal

Mikal DI Member

Ratings:
    +139 / 12
    Yes, directly to our home (in Dumaguete). I *think* it's always UPS. They do tend to deliver all items from a particular order together, which I like.

The cost of delivery + any customs / import fees are NOT inexpensive - broadly speaking you will just about double the cost of the item(s). This varies of course, including your choice of how quickly you want it delivered. You will see estimated delivery dates when checking out. I can't really recall the last time I used expedited delivery, standard delivery times have always been within a couple of weeks I think.

I'm pretty sure that Johnny Air is a cheaper alternative, but maybe not as efficient in some ways. I know that Amazon is going to refund my money if something does not arrive or is damaged on arrival. And I get good visibility into where things are up until they get to the shipper (UPS I guess) in Manila. With Johnny Air I think that you own it as soon as they sign for it at their US facility.

4. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    often amazon / UPS has been surprisingly quick (about a week). good thing is that there are no customs surprises at the local post office (and you dont actually have to go to the post office). it's all calculated (estimated?) upfront and you know what you pay all in all, before you actually pay. I'd say it is not always double the item price in the end, weight / volume plays a big role for the shipping cost part, and product class can have an influence on the custom fees.

I consider ordering there a luxury and only do it after exhausting all other options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Getting back to the thread topic: unintended consequences. Now that Degamo has extended the ECQ order until the end of April, it is obvious that his office has not considered the health consequences for seniors who are deprived of even mild cardiovascular exercise. Will the Province cover the costs of those who develop deep vein thromboses, or other lethargy-induced illness? Even prisoners get to go out to the courtyard an get their bodies moving. I'm a senior and, though I will never be accused of being a gym rat, I always managed to at least get some walking in everyday in the pursuit of daily activities. They should have an hour everyday where seniors can just go take a walk without worrying about getting jammed into the local jail.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Let's not make excuses for laziness, nobody is being deprived of exercise. There is plenty of cardio to be had at home and around the house.

Doesn't matter if you are old and broken or in your prime, you can always get some cardio in without ever leaving the comfort of your living room.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is inevitable if these quarantines keep getting extended. A large portion of the population was already desperate and barely able to feed themselves and their families. Forcing them to stay home for a month means they starve. Instead of the, roughly, 3% of people that would have died from the virus (very likely less than that with the asymptomatic) you will have 20-50% of your population being severely malnourished, at best, in very short order. The government needs to step up quickly if they want to avoid civil unrest (or they better make sure they keep their police and military very well fed and happy).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I'd personally be happy if they left the shotguns at home in such a case. It only takes one trigger happy cop to turn civil disobedience aka people ignoring the curfew into a real riot that ends with a blood bath.

• Like Like x 2
  10. fahr_side

fahr_side DI Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 23