Dumaguete Info Search

Negros Chronicle

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by charlyB, Nov 25, 2015.

1. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Each year in the Philippines 300 to 400 people die from rabies, of which 84% are caused by dog bites. Filipinos for the most part do not have the same view as a westerner of a pet, that's why there are so many stray dogs. I have asked the City Veterinary Services to remove the stray dogs in Katrina Homes, but they did nothing. As much as I feel sorry for these animals, I am afraid there is no practical solution to this problem, other than to kill them humanely.

DAILY STAR: Negros Oriental

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Tons of threads and comments on that. :wink:
    The traffic problem cannot be blamed on just a few types of vehicles/drivers. Traffic laws need to be enforced, traffic signs/lights installed, drivers licenses/vehicle registrations properly issued, driver education/safety courses, a culture that results in more courteous behavior (changing from a selfish clan based society to one that cares for advancement of the entire country), major improvements in the infrastructure.....the list goes on. Traffic is going to suck in the Philippines for quite some time and only get worse as their population explodes and their infrastructure remains the same. It is something you just have to deal with it avoid if you plan on living here (both Filipino and foreigner).

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes, you are correct they are the cause of lots of problems IMPO. Especially the tricycles roaming the streets at 5kph trolling for customers. It seemed to work a little better in Angeles City where the most of trikes were at designated locations to pick up customers not clogging the streets looking for paying rides.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    The stray dogs are a problem. It's not just a minority with diseases. At night after traffic has died down, dogs own the streets. When I would walk at night I had to be constantly on guard to keep from getting bit.

I don't listen to music while walking anymore. The third time I ever listened to music while walking, a dog got close enough to me that it was able to grab my pant leg. Good thing I was wearing loose pants or I would have got bit in the ankle. This was during the day.

Many people here are scared of dogs and won't walk anywhere because of dogs.

Kill the dogs. Even the non diseased dogs are a problem. They form packs and become more dangerous in numbers. While one dog might leave you alone, a group of dogs act differently.

The moral weight isn't on the people making the decision to kill the dogs, rather it's on the people not taking care of their own dogs and fixing them so they no longer breed.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    I here if you go to Manila airport, they are handing it out for free........

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I think some people who got snagged at customs would argue this point with you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    [QUOTE="TheDude, post: 133481, member: 844" At night after traffic has died down, dogs own the streets. When I would walk at night I had to be constantly on guard to keep from getting bit.

Kill the dogs. Even the non diseased dogs are a problem. They form packs and become more dangerous in numbers. While one dog might leave you alone, a group of dogs act differently.
    [/QUOTE]

You're surrounded by 6-8 'pets' who have now claimed the street as their territory and are going for your legs. You can't run, the only option is to attack. Yell like the devil and charge swinging an unbrella, it helps them remember the beatings they got from their owners. That got us through until we bought stun guns, they really hate the sound.

8. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I suppose you need to do what you can to get away. But there are breeds of dogs that will carry out their mission to the death. I find in most cases, turning towards the dogs and walking backwards is good enough. They usually keep their distance when I'm facing them.

Just tonight I had another big problem. Luckily the dogs were relatively small (medium.) These dogs were in the yard and the gate was open. Again, multiple dogs, one dog stayed in the yard until the more aggressive dog left the yard. Then I had multiple dogs barking and nipping at me.

No way can anyone defend this. This is a huge problem and anytime it's animal vs human, the animal dies. That's it. Like laws of physics. It may be unfortunate, but the issue is larger than the individual person.

If these dogs were larger, abused, or a more dangerous breed, then I may not be alive.

9. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    You're surrounded by 6-8 'pets' who have now claimed the street as their territory and are going for your legs. You can't run, the only option is to attack. Yell like the devil and charge swinging an unbrella, it helps them remember the beatings they got from their owners. That got us through until we bought stun guns, they really hate the sound.[/QUOTE]
    If you are attacked by a dog bend over and pretend you are picking up a rock. Pretend you are throwing it. They know what this mean and 99% of the time that dog will run.

If you are going to do allot of walking at night it may be wise to carry a walking stick.

10. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    I thing there are other ways of dealing with this issue. A rescue of these dogs could be initiated with a program like Crowd Funding and by donations. You could get volunteers to help out also. I am too old to do this myself but would have no problem