Dumaguete Info Search

Negros Chronicle

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by charlyB, Nov 25, 2015.

1. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    I do not credit cultural relativism, and I do not credit law of nature. Nor the Asian Way promoted by rulers, etc. I believe in universal human rights.

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    But not everyone agrees on what these "universal human rights" should be or who/what they should apply to. Subjective.

3. OP
    OP
    charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 333
    I agree with all you say but in my view the main problem is most of the drivers have absolutely no respect for other road users and think they are the only person on the road, does anyone know where I can get a car horn that sounds like the ceres bus horn as that appears to be the only thing most drivers pay any attention to.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I believe they are illegal to put on a car but.....Bus Horn, Bus Horn Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com

5. OP
    OP
    charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 333
    I better not do it then if its illegal :angelic:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    Yeah, years ago it was legal to have a big horn on anything and it really got out of hand. A buddy in Davao had a BIG truck horn on his toyota land rover, scare the crap out of anyone that was not expecting it which was everybody.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    People are animals. 100% of people who harm other people are animal abusers. :wink:
    Joking aside, the FBI labeling it as a "crime against society" means absolutely nothing. It doesn't make for longer sentences or more enforcement of laws (the FBI doesn't make policy, they enforce it).
    So if someone kicks a dog we are going to waste tax payer money by having someone follow them around and/or keep tabs on them? If you break a law and serve the punishment given to you the government has the right to follow you around and spy on you? Me's thinks that's unconstitutional in the US. We are slowly but surely working our way to becoming a police state. I for one don't need "big brother" looking over my shoulder to make sure every step I take is a safe one and there is no one there to hurt me.
    So studies from groups that's primary goal is to stop animal abuse did a study looking for a connection between animal abuse and violent crimes against humans.....gee, I wonder what the results were? Could it possibly help with drawing more attention to their cause? :meh: Fear = $$ Let's take a look at these "studies".
    Humane Society:
    Wow, 36 people in the study. What are these numbers being compared against? What is the percentage of 36 non-multiple murderers that have abused animals? I wonder what percentage of those murderers ate cereal with a spoon for breakfast when they were kids. Most of them you say? Holy crap, eating cereal with a spoon should be made a crime and labeled a "crime against society". :troll:
    In the Humane Society's "about us" page the first paragraph says:
    Think there might be an agenda there?

The National Link Coalition doesn't even have any studies. They list a couple individual incidents such as this one:
    You think that the animal abuse is predictor to murder because there was someone that didn't pay up on a bet at an illegal dog fight, which is likely sponsored by the cartel, and was murdered.......in Juarez of all places?! These idiots have obviously never been to Juarez (it's a cartel ran sh*t hole where people get murdered and/or kidnapped for sport). If you don't pay up on debts to the cartels you will die and it probably in a very unpleasant way. The "predictor" of this crime was "Cartel", not animal abuse. Talking about grasping for straws. The other individual crimes they mention are of people who are obviously mentally ill. Their mental illness would be the cause for their crimes....not the fact that they put a firecracker in a frogs *sshole when they were 6......the animal abuse likely occurred because they were mentally ill.
    From the same page:
    :meh: That's what you do? Watch the news? So they can basically do this from their living room while in their underwear (and I have a suspicion that is how that site is operated). The only thing they are reading or being sent are crimes when animal abuse is mentioned. Talk about confirmation bias.

Now I'm not saying that people who hurt/murder other humans don't often abuse animals. I'm just saying that animal abuse crimes are so rarely reported and even less likely to be prosecuted that it is impossible to draw any type of conclusion as to weather animal abuse is a precursor to violent behavior. The FBI labeling the crimes and crimes against society will not change how these laws are enforced.....all it means is that the few who do get busted will have a special place in the FBI databases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    :roflmao: Statistics can be used to show anything you want. Unless there is empirical study with verifiable and repeatable results it is just conjecture! or at best a hypothesis

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    I hope I am not going to be attacked on this issue. If a child is cruel to animals rather than being loving it is an indicator that he run into problems regarding dysfunctional behavior in the future. Will that behavior be equated to homicide tendencies? Of course not, as there are many mitigating factors that help create a sociopath. And, even if you could identify all of those mitigating factors you could end up with someone like "Lawrence of Arabia." Sir Lawrence was viewed by many as a sociopath but he was a leader and brought stability to India when he was there. Was he cruel to animals? Who knows?

There has been no definitive study that I know of that has shown any positive correlation between animal abuse and criminal behavior. If you know of one let me know. I would be interested in reading it. The movies love to depict this correlation!

I remember supervising a man that had over 200 dogs on his property. Animal rescuers and Police found many dogs laying around who were malnourished and dead. His house was a mess. This man had all kinds of money and could have fed those dogs with no problem. It was definitely cruel what he did to those animals. However, he was no murderer, in terms of killing humans! He was an older man who really was not in touch with reality.