Dumaguete Info Search

Negros Chronicle

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by charlyB, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not attacking you, attacking the content. What studies have proven that if children are mean to animals they will have problems with violence as adults? (children are mean little snot rags to everything and everyone until they are taught that such behavior is unacceptable by their parents. If you look up "feral children" you will see that humans without human social interaction and culture are nothing more than animals that are concerned with nothing other than survival.) Linking animal cruelty to violence against other humans is just pop-psychology that animal rights organizations wish everyone would believe. Just because most people believe such a thing does not mean that it is true.
    How can the first statement be factual if there is nothing linking the two behaviors?
    Sounds like he was mentally ill. If tax money was going to be spent on this guy it should be spent on helping his mental well-being......not spent on monitoring him for future crimes in an attempt to link animal cruelty with violent behavior towards humans. The man probably didn't think for one second that what he was doing to those animals was cruel and I'd bet that his intentions were quite the opposite. He likely had a whole lot of love for those animals, though very misguided and poorly implemented because of his mental illness. This also shows the reason why it's impossible to link people who violate animal cruelty laws to violent behavior: it took 200 hundred animals being abused before law enforcement took any type of action against the person.....not 10, 20, 50 or even 100, 200 hundred dogs needed to be abused before they decided to do anything about it. How many people that abuse a single animal are ever reported, arrested or even known about? With such a large portion of these crimes being unreported-unknown about there will just never be enough data to link it with any other crime.

2. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    No offense, but you are jumping to conclusions! I never said being cruel to animals will lead to violence! I believe I said it "could" lead to dysfunctional behavior further on down the road. Note I said "could" and dysfunctional behavior could be lack of apathy and nothing more.

I believe this guy was mentally ill also. The Criminal Justice System is not setup to help him. They are setup to punish him. The idea of "rehabilitation" has been dismissed a long time ago. Again, if you are talking to me, I never said those who treat dogs poorly have a propensity to commit violent behavior! In fact, I don't believe there is a correlation all.

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    :wink:
    I can't argue that it "could" or couldn't be an indicator, not enough evidence to go either way on that. It's an unknown. My argument was against that it "is" and indicator.
    I completely agree.

4. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    Back to the loud horn, do you think the will police it the same way as they police the loud mufflers ? I have ordered one we will see

5. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    I don't recall saying that "is" and indicator. If I did say it, I was wrong. There are many factors that can be studied to predict violent behavior and especially sociopathic behavior. But none of them are conclusive. Certainly no indicators in young children as they are like little sociopaths as you rightly indicated. Take 10 kids both girls and boys. Give them all hammers to play with. Now go to sleep and let them play! Maybe give them all an ax for good measure!

There is a scale that Dr. Hare has used to measure psychopathy. Psychopath Test
    Note that the results of these test are not conclusive. Your local used car salesman may pass this test with flying colors but he would never commit murder or violent acts that would land him in prison.

Dr. Robert Hare was known for studying the latent time for neural impulses to travel between the neuron cleft (synapse) of neuron dendrites. What he was looking for is how they responded to violent images on a screen. He was basically looking at the electrical impulses in the brain. He found little differences between inmates convicted of murder and those in various businesses who were not in jail.

In other words, there is no clear pattern or indicator that specifically leads to violent behavior. Some police believe a person's criminal record is a good predictor for potential violent behavior. This is a circular argument explaining behavior by after the fact.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    Here is what has been agreed "universally".