Dumaguete Info Search

Negros eyeing tag as new renewable energy capital

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Jack Peterson, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Tidal energy is. So long as the moon keeps orbiting around the Earth the tides will be renewed daily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Even that slows down Dave. They have had to add a second to the atomic clock because the earth is slowing. Of course the sun will probably go before the moon totally stops and it and the earth become tide locked.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    They forgot to mention exported labor as cheap energy source for the world. And with the Philippines popping out so many kids, it's renewable.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    VALENCIA, Negros Oriental, Mar. 16 (PIA) – Environment advocates here were disappointed with the outcome of the recently-held public hearing on the proposed 60-megawatt expansion of renewable energy firm Energy Development Corporation (EDC) in Mount Talinis.

Representatives from some environment groups were dismayed when the moderator of the open forum announced that the discussion was over after the last reactor from the Negros Oriental Chamber of Commerce and Industry (NOCCI) shared his reaction to the topic.

Friends of the Environment in Negros Oriental (FENOR) co-founder Leo Mamicpic pointed out to the organizers that they should have given a chance to respond to the points delivered by Robert Dy, energy sector chairman of NOCCI.

Dy mentioned that Valencia is lucky to have a vast geothermal power and if they would turn into solar energy to produce the 60-megawatt (MW) power it would require 565 hectares of land to be used as solar farms and there’s no source for this big part of land in said town.

The environmental group representatives lamented that the organizers of the event didn’t open the floor to all people who wanted to raise their points and ask questions and instead selected one representative per sector.

EDC seeks to expand its output from 222.5Mega Watss (MW) to 282.5MW in which additional 20MW will be allocated for its Nasuji Power Plant and the remaining 40MW will be reserved for its future developments.

The Environmental Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR-EMB) organized a public hearing to solicit opinion from different stakeholders on the topic.

Aside from this, consumers are also at risk in paying high electricity rates if electric cooperatives will source energy from solar power producers because of the fixed P8.69 feed-in tariff (FIT) imposed in solar and wind energy.

However, he clarified in an interview with the media after the event that they cannot compare solar energy to geothermal energy the way one compares apples to other products.

In response to this, Mamicpic said producing 60megawatt power will not require more than 500 hectares of land and only needs one hectare per megawatt or a minimum of 60 hectares.

He also emphasized that solar farms are installed in areas with no trees.

- See more at: PIA | Environment advocates disappointed with public hearing on EDC expansion

5. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Not exactly geocooling but other natural ways to cool a house simply are available. These simple economic ways to reduce the temperatures within your home include. 1) Paint you roof silver or white. Painting white or silver reflects the heat, and reduces heat build up in the open attic area which is then transferred to the house. Do not paint the roof a dark color as it will only absorb more heat from the sun. The typical dark red roof is probably the worst colors to choose in regards to building up heat in the roof. (no cost, unless repainting). 2) Plant Mahogany trees about 1 ½ meter apart on east, south and west sides of the house. In less than 3 years they will shade the walls and start shading the roof of you house, cutting down on heat transfer to your house walls and roof. Cost is about 12 P a tree as seedling in Valencia area. (One of the reason Valenica is cooler than other surrounding areas is the amount of shade provide by the good tree coverage in the area.) Thousands are available on the road to Casaroro Falls. Neither items 1 or 2 require additional cost other than water and fertilizer for the trees if you want them to grow fast. You can achieve about 15 to 20 feet grow in height in three years or less when well cared for. (Contact me if you want some help, I can get the Mahogany trees growing like weeds… not weed.)

Getting the heat build up out of the vacant attic space is crucial in cooling a house. A little more complicated approach can include exhaust fans or vents at the highest point in your roof. (Remember hot air rises! ) The vents around the lower eves of the roof attic only let out the coolest air temperatures escape as the hot air concentrates in the top of the attic space. Opening the highest points to venting releases the hot air and lets cooler air coming in through the lower eve vents. A air exhaust fan could be put on a thermostat (or manula switch in the house) to go on when attic temperature are high, but there is an electrical cost involved. Attic insulation is also a very good means of keep the hot attic air temperatures to enter you house, but there is an installation cost, but no continue cost. I found it cost about 1000 P for a medium size bedroom in the past. Reduction in electrical air conditioning cost can pay for the insulation cost quickly. I hope this is a help to you. Some of these strategies can even pay off for you in reduced electrical cost if you live in a rental home if you have a 3 to 5 year lease agreement to amortize the costs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. DGTXPAT

DGTXPAT DI Junior Member

Trucker
    Ratings:
    +50 / 14
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Twin Lakes and the Amlan river seemed cool to me. Having a breeze is always a plus and living in a Mountain in a nipa hut works well too. Over here is USA the windmills are popping up all around the Atlantic shore here in Mass. Not sure if that is choice that might make it to the Philippines or not?

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Attic insulation works like a sponge, keeping the house cooler during the day by absorbing the heat rather than letting it pass through the ceiling. This works until the insulation becomes saturated at which time it becomes practically useless (a sponge absorbs water until full). The continue cost is dealing with all that captured heat being released into the home at night. (ever wonder why outside there is a cool breeze but it is still hot inside?)

No idea about sourcing it here but I would recommend radiant barrier (think aluminum foil) which reflects the sun's radiant energy back out of the house (same idea as the white roof but much more efficient) and can reduce temperatures 20 - 30 degrees fahrenheit (10-15 celsius). Radiant barrier does not become saturated and the little bit of heat absorbed is dissipated quickly as the sun goes down.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,222 / 1,090
    This is the one we have is it what you are referring to?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I have always thought that a 'heat sink' acted like a sponge whereas insulation blocks the flow of heat. Thus the reason your house is still hot in the cool of the night probably has more to do with the heat coming from the concrete block walls (the heat sink) than the insulated ceiling. But easy enough to figure out, just touch the insulated ceiling in the evening and then touch the concrete wall and see which one is warmer.

Disclaimer, I am not claiming to be an expert, I just know that my concrete walls feel warmer than my ceiling in the evening.

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    The foam insulation I purchased here at City Hardware was less than 1/2 inch thick and had reflective foil on both sides. It was a house I rented so I did not want to spend a lot of money. I installed it above the ceiling rafters in the attic as that was the easiest insulation. The ceiling in that bedroom was cooler to the touch. Is that what you were referring to here? (Just like the one in JP's picture)

AlwaysRt