Dumaguete Info Search

Negros NPA

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by osodelnorte, Dec 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    that's were renting instead of buying a house comes in play!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    sounds like things are changing... a shame.. negrosian's and negrosian npa's have lived in harmony so long.. lets not let duterte pit us against each other.. we are not the enemy... duterte is...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Please it is not "negrosian" it is Negrenes and applies to all people from Negros Island. The NPA has a few arms. Both political and armed. When they go around demanding "revolutionary" taxes or else they burn your assets, or demand payment in order to campaign in their areas, that is not in the best interest of the country. That is operating outside of government and it is violence. If you look at the definition of terrorism, then by doing these things they fit the description to a tee.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. OP
    OP
    osodelnorte

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    you say potato... i say tater... i say negrosians.. you can say whatever you wish.. the NPA never demanded anything of me.. have they of you.. all i know is there has been peace on negros for a long time.. while there was fighting elsewhere.. and i would like to see it stay this way... they are not my enemy.. nor do i wish them to be.. i understand their plight.. the philippines is a really messed up place.. where filipinos live in poverty while the elite plunder.. terrorist my butt.. not on negros..

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    What people are called always seems to change. In America the "Negroes" decided they wanted to be called "Blacks", "American Indians" decided on "Native Americans". My dog and cat like "Canine American" and "Feline American". According to what I read the island is named Negros because when the Spanish first came they saw black natives so they named the island "Negros". Also according to what I read they are properly called, and I quote Wikipedia, " Residents of Negros are called "Negrenses" (and less often "Negrosanons"). I myself just call them filipinos.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Let's look at this away, If you don't go looking for them, They will not come looking for you :cigar:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    osodelnorte

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    well, hell, if wikipedia says so then what can i say.. isnt wikipedia written by contributors.. like you.. the story i got was when the spaniards landed on the south of the island they called it negros oriental because the locals were dark and had the olive shaped eyes.. and when they landed on the north of the island... thinking it was a different island.. the locals had rounder eyes.. so they named it negros occidentals.. but that really has nothing to do with this thread.. why does that not surprise me..

osodelnorte
    This message by osodelnorte has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Trollin' Trollin' x 1
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    One definition of a "terrorist" is 'a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims'. If the NPA threatens to burn down buildings unless certain 'taxes' are paid then I would say they do fit the description of 'terrorists'. This is similar to the extortion of the Mafia "Take out our 'fire insurance' or your place may (WILL) burn down." Often terrorist groups lose their 'cause' and become indistinguishable from criminals. But then again, Nelson Mandela was seen as a 'terrorist' under a repressive minority government and then elected President under a majority government of his own people. So was he ever a 'terrorist'? I felt that the IRA had a valid cause to re-unite Ireland, but as soon as they targeted civilians I changed my attitude and despised them.

My view, therefore, is that The Philippines has a democratically elected government (we can think what we want about HOW some get elected, but Duterte has a massive majority and I think his right to be President cannot be disputed) and those who disagree with the rule of law need to go to the ballot box - if they think threatening ordinary innocent people is the right way then they are misguided. Who wants to be governed by people who use threats to gain their objectives? They would just bring that MO into government to fill their own pockets with property stolen from the innocent.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Would presidents of countries with drones not fit into that definition as well?

I think the question comes down to what is deemed "lawful violence". I believe a few of these deaths were American citizens as well....some probably innocent, some probably not so much. When does the government get to decide to waive an American's (or really anyone else's) right to a fair trail before execution? I'm sure most of the time they are trying to target known enemy combatants but there is blurry line on when this becomes illegal. If they are at a family gathering they aren't exactly "active" enemy combatants or an immediate threat to anyone....and their family members certainly don't deserve to die IMO.

I think the NPA mainly tries to keep the violence directed towards the government. They do have to finance their "rebellion" though. I think this is where they get in trouble and could fall under the terrorist organization label. Certainly not black and white and I can understand both sides of the argument.

10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Certainly huge areas of grey, black and white (am I allowed to say those colours now?) ... Is 'collateral damage' any more acceptable if it results from government action rather than terrorist action? Is 'collateral damage' acceptable if the main target is hit and that prevents more deaths than those lost in the 'collateral damage'?

Which side do you come down on in a situation like that portrayed in 'Eye in the Sky' (2015)? I have to admit that I wanted them to hit the target at once and accept the loss of the young girl's life. I just weighed up the certain death of one against the likely deaths of very many. Other people will differ, of course, and thankfully they do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.