Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: New Boulevard

1. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +416 / 198
    I would tend to agree, particularly as China would, in effect, be building the project for themselves. As soon as Dumaguete default on the loan it becomes wholly owned by the Chinese, as proven in many places, particularly Africa.

Regarding the manpower - China has what they call "bureau" which are pools of manpower that they call upon to provide the labour for particular infrastructure projects. These bureau are labelled by number (1 to 20) and each number represents a particular area of China that the bureau is located. e.g. The 14th bureau is based in Yunnan and their manpower is taken from that area. The Chinese will ship these bureau personnel anywhere in the world that they're required to build a particular project. This process works out cheaper for the Chinese as they pay these workers a minimal wage and, as most have families, it gets sent back to China anyway. They live in "camps" which provide food and accommodation, so very little input into the local economy.

The skill level of the personnel is highly suspicious. The bureau claim their personnel are skilled etc but I know, and have direct experience of, personnel who were picking rice in their locality but, on joining the bureau were told they were now electricians and sent to a project where there was a shortage of electricians. These people were directly responsible for dangerous shortcomings in the project and a liability for the project owners. Due to the low skill levels and corruption there have been many occurrences of failure causing loss of life (e.g. the use of sub-standard rebar causing a building to collapse).

The whole set-up, being state owned, only benefits the Chinese in both the short and longer terms. This does not bode well for Dumaguete city, only those that get to line their pockets at the city's expense.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Is that in the contract? I think it would be smart to take advantage of the cheap local workforce for the majority of the construction jobs. Sure, hire foreign engineers and brainpower since that is lacking here but it would be financially irresponsible to bring in unskilled Chinese workers to swing hammers and dig holes. I imagine a lot of the materials would be cheaper to source locally than it would be to ship it from China.

Also, construction is short term jobs, you have to consider the shops/restaurants/bars that will pop up on this new land and the additional tourism dollars it will bring in.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    It seems the project is quite popular with local government officials, the claims made to promote this land reclamation suggest a certain eagerness to convince the population this is good for them and for the city.
    "It will solve unemployment" , "It will stop the brain drain" , " It will propel Dumaguete into independent city status".
    Apart from the last claim (which seems pretty near anyway), these seem more pie in the sky than realistic.
    If Dumaguete wishes to grow its economy long term then investments in infrastructure are key to achieve that, not a sliver of "new land".
    To name just a few: a better harbour with container handling facilities, improved roads so as to ban heavy trucks from downtown and ensure better traffic flow, reliable electric grid, reliable water supply that citizens can rely on for drinking water, competitive internet speed and rates.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
  4. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    I heard that this new island of buildings will not be along the existing commercial boulevard area. It will start on the other side of the pier and extend south along the area by Lantaw and going towards the airport, the area where all the new construction and restaurants are happening now. Still, I think it's a pretty bad idea, a lot of fishing goes on in that area.
    https://www.yesthebest.com.ph/provi...ovt-arguments-smart-city-reclamation-project/

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Related I think.

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. dadof3at1ce

dadof3at1ce DI Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +111 / 11
    Ha who knows.

They just bought out the big parcel next to us and my wife has had family have to move because they have been bought out. Some are worried about where they are going to live now.

For me I am enjoying the quietness when we are there and worry about the increased traffic and noise it will inevitably bring. However I am also hopeful it will bring some more modern amenities to the area since we are just a bit outside Bacong proper.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The planned project (land reclamation along the boulevard) is pretty controversial with the locals. Seems the government wants to hand this over, along with the costs, to a private company. They are going to wave all taxes and permit fees to this company. The mockups I saw are laughable and extremely optimistic and would make Singapore envious. Likely won't come to be during the lifetime of anyone alive today, if ever.

What is more realistic to happen in (some of) our to lifetimes is that they will reclaim land from the sea extending out a hundred or two hundred meters similar to the existing southern boulevard extension. Maybe a few smaller buildings built for restaurants, shops and touristy stuff. Building massive modern skyscrapers like the mockup I saw is just unrealistic and likely dangerous to do on reclaimed land.

Will it actually happen? This is the Philippines. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  8. Obliged Friend

Obliged Friend DI Forum Adept Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
  9. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    Interesting some locals might be upset their homes will be flooded by the project.
    The last paragraph says the Chinese don't provide job opportunities to the locals or give opportunities to local to supply anything to the project.
    Several years ago the Chinese wanted to open a coal mine in Western Canada. They wanted to import Chinese miners to work in the mine. That didn't fly. Next they agreed to hire Canadians, that's better lads. The last thing I heard they wanted miners that spoke Mandarin. They are persistent to say the least. I don't know how things ended.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,592 / 2,888
    I agree - the educational system here produces many graduates at all levels - with fancy costumes and pieces of ribboned paper, their smiling faces displayed outside the educational establishments. They fill the hospitals (for example) and are subject in this Forum alone to much criticism. They go abroad and have to be re-trained in many cases.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1