Dumaguete Info Search

New caunduay bridge collapses

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    "City Planning and Development Officer, Engr. Leonidis Caro, said as far as Dumaguete is concerned, they were never informed about the more than P20 million bridge project between Candau-ay and Cadawinonan."
    Sounds true except that Engr Caro was involved trying to assist with a right of way problem.

I still hold to the defective cement theory. Until I heard about the Aussie and his defective paving stone I had no idea that cement could be defective.
    If Phil South et al figure this out they will be able to point their fingers elsewhere.
    I watched the bridge near Bambulo being built. Never say anyone do a slump test or pour a test cylinder.

2. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Why do you ask us? Most of us are primarily English speaking(whatever english world dialect one chooses), not politico "V'english" (sic) speaking. Please translate it as we all do, from our own personal experiences.

Oh god no! Please don't tell local AND national government is as corrupt in the P.I.? Yeah, I speak sarcasm too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2016
  3. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Interesting read on a variety of things that affect the final strength of the concrete.

FACTORS AFFECTING STRENGTH OF CONCRETE

For those working of you working on your PhD.

http://www.cement.org/docs/default-...defects-causes-prevention-repair.pdf?sfvrsn=4

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  4. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    They concreted the road past our place last year, and i was suprised to see they did actually pour a test cylinder, and used used agis....not cement mixer and shovel......

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Why don't they just put up a Bailey Bridge. There are lots of them all over the world and many have been there since the second world war. Most of the concrete bridge here appear to need repairing after a very few years. You often see them removing the concrete from around the rebar, which indicates to me that the original concrete was sub standard. If you were sarcastic you might think this is deliberate, otherwise a regular source of income for the politicos might disappear.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Show Pony

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    If the rebar is rusty to start with, the continuing rust will expand and break off the surrounding concrete. Rusty rebar is definitely not a good thing.
    Where there are horizontal joints in the rebar they should overlap aprox 60 x rebar diameter. If the rebar is rusty the rebar are effectively not connected. The rebar will not provide support.

A friend turned me on to a little trick. Adding a 5 peso sachet of dishwashing soap per sack of cement drops the water requirement by about 50%. I tried that when I built my garage. It was a real bugger when I had to chisel a channel in the floor.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    When I had some bricklaying done in the UK my builder use FEBMIX. He said some washing up liquids contain soluble salts which can weaken the cement.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Show Pony

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    I was told to use Dove. I don't know if it contains salts.
    In Bahrain a contractor used seawater to build some five story apartments. Ten years later they were all condemned and visibly falling apart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Don't really matter what they could or should have used, They Didn't and the result is as it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1