Dumaguete Info Search

new city mall

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by charlyB, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    We also taught them infomercials and multi-level marketing (ponzi) schemes. lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Perhaps at times we miss seeing what Filipinos teach us. Not all Filipinos are good - not all Westerners are good - not all humans are good ...... BUT, I never fail to admire the poor Filipinos who tread the streets selling a few peanuts to feed themselves and their families .... I never fail to admire the families who send not only their children to school, but also cousins, nieces, nephews etc ...... I never fail to admire the family cohesion, the care of their elderly, the way they lookout for other family members. Also, I feel good inside when a stranger says "hi" (or a variant) to me or a group of children outside a school show interest in things I know. I also feel good that people call me "Sir" and often show great respect, but it is not deserved - in The Philippines, their country, they are the ones who deserve respect from me. Developed countries have multiple problems that may well bring them down but in The Philippines there is a sense of the 'good old days' (not in every respect of course) and a basically happy population, struggling along in a simple lifestyle, enjoying their families, enjoying their traditions. Being here is like a weight taken off from the pressures of Western society.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    What, so they can be like the US (that disaster), or ?? Sorry SB, i've told myself to STFU, but i gotta chime in.. It is their culture, their country, their smiles and laughter, their families, their pace of life. Sure there are things i'd like them to do differently (a bit more ATD), but if they choose not to change, i'll live with it, and since we've acquired a place, i guess we're here for the duration. The only thing we try to teach them, is lift with your legs, not your back. And i've figured out that the reason food doesn't arrive at the same time is that the whole family digs into each dish as it appears. The idea of main courses arriving simultaneously is a foreign concept, so "i deal wid it."

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Context is everything. You're standing there with the Reese's right in front of you and it will cost less than an extra dime (US currency) to buy them. Or, get in your car or hop tricycle to Robinson and pay more than that in "car fare" to save that dime. Not to mention the wear and tear on your nerves by the trip from City Mall to Robinson.

Foreigners seem to be willing to pay for convenience and comfort when it is reasonably affordable. Going to and shopping at the public market is a nightmare on many levels, but it is cheaper. Me? I prefer to pay for the wide aisles and good lighting. I know I am blest in that I can afford that "luxury" which, as a westerner, has become commonplace and habit for me.

I would have paid the 44 pesos and not given the price difference at Robinson's another thought.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NYC

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    That baffled me when I moved here at first. Even a few of the restaurants that cater to foreigners (you can telll by the prices) don't seem to get the concept that salad comes well before entree. I found a gentle solution to that. Order only what you want to arrive first, and ask to hold on to the menu. Once that course arrives, order your entree. It may take a bit more time to get through the meal, but at least you're not having your salad with your halo-halo.

• Like Like x 3
  6. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Exactly what I am also doing when my order is more than one. But even than it is still wait & see that your table partner(s) is/are being served @the same time and not what many times might happen one already finished diner while the other one still waiting to be served. Even @diner, more fun in the Phils.

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I just specifically ask them to bring the appetizer out first...and have my partner translate the request if I feel the staff didn't understand what I was asking (politely asking them to repeat the order/requests usually makes it clear if they understood). Usually works.

8. NYC

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I often dine alone, so I can't make my request clear in Cebuano. But I can see how that would make things easier. One would think the servers would take the hint when they get so many requests to be served in that way. But the real problem is the kitchen, not the servers. The servers just grab whatever the kitchen puts out and brings it to the table. If the entree appears first, that is what gets served first. If you get the server to understand, that's only half the battle. Your cooked entree may be sitting on the counter getting cold while the server complies with your request.

9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It works most of the time for me. If it doesn't I'm not all that worried about it. It all comes out the same way regardless of which order you put it in. :wink:

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Not only here - I ordered a burger from a UK pub, only to find when it arrived that the meat part was missing! When I pointed this out, the meat eventually arrived and I was told they found it on top of the oven.

• Funny Funny x 3