Dumaguete Info Search

New LTO Driver's License Law

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Dave & Imp, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Another day, another change of rules:
    Philippines Drivers License rule change for foreigners is now in effect. LTO driver's license rule change. A foreigner will not be issued a drivers license either by conversion or new test unless he is a permanent resident. He must be able to prove residency by having a 13a marriage visa or a SRRV (visa). Watch my new video to see why!!

Present license holders can renew.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    After watching the video I understand. Apparently without a driver's license you can not buy a vehicle, that will force visitors who do not get into a permanent relationship here with a lady who will drive them every night until marriage occurs :o o:, to get a driver or use public transportation. The reasoning is that there are too many abandoned vehicles left behind by "visitors" to this country. I understand this because when I drive down the streets in Dumaguete I see many abandoned cars and trucks in the middle of the street. Probably left by temporary visitors in a hurry to buy a bullet, plant it in their luggage and try to leave the country because they were not permanent residents, or they were locals who just did not give a f*ck where they park and neither does the LTO traffic officer :wtf: that observes the traffic jam, as he chats with the cuties on the corner. In either case, yes there are abandoned vehicles left in the street in the shade of the "no parking" signs many times. :smile: Another good example of logical thinking on the part of the people who buy enough votes to control this county's citizens and culture. :wtf:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    This is the first I heard anywhere of someone not being allowed to buy a vehicle. I mean that basically, under law, it is chattel property. I wonder would they let you buy a vehicle if you hired a driver and brought him down to show his drivers license?

This may differ from place to place.

I wonder if this guy is spot on? I have never seen serialized heads and cylinders on a motorcycle in the Philippines, I have only seen a serial number on the case.

This might not last more than a year because I know I would scratch the Philippines off my long term list if I couldn't own my own transportation, I suspect it may be that important to other people as well. **** even China will let you own a motorcycle the last I heard.

Luckily, I already have a Philippines DL so I will be ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Let me guess, transportation providers are complaining to few foreigners willing to ride and especially pay extra fairs so they plan to stop foreigners from buying our own vehicles so we are dependent on paying someone else. There excuse it utter nonsense though. Very few foreigners likely abandon their vehicle like they suggest and if they do it was probably with an old GF or her family. Then look at how many locals here are driving without licenses or registration so why should their be any issue with that foreigners vehicle ran by the old GFs family and herself?

It would be far easier and more profitable to deal with these *abandoned vehicles* is they simply made a law that stated if a vehicle has been abandoned a month in the same public space that it can be picked up by LTO and refurbished and sold under a new title. Invest 5k fixing up the motor or 15k fixing up the car and then go sell it for 10x what it cost to fix and big profits. Of course this would p*ss off locals who abandon vehicles and expect to be able to have a laugh a year later when they pass their busted vehicle to see it still there.

I still think before they go onto all this anti foreigner crap they should focus on registrations and licenses of all drivers locals and foreigners alike. Start nabbing them it traps and heavy fines and if not paid auction the vehicle or destroy it if its a public hazard vehicle.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Anyway how many laws are enforced here in Duma! Let's see what happens when a few apply,I'm sure it won't take long!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    It will be back to Fixers when the LTO Revenue Budgets are not met! :wink: or do I mean the Slush fund is low? :pompus:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    lol They consider that a problem? It's a free vehicle for a local to drive around....everyone knows they don't care about having a license or registration. That's free money injected into the economy. :rolleyes:

Mine won't expire until 2017, I suspect there will be 3-4 rule changes before I'm due to renew so I'll just hold off on my rant until then. :happy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    1st, the rule only applies to the LTO officer he spoke to at whatever office he was at. Every Officer will have their own interpretation and desire to enforce it based on how they feel at the time you are in front of them.

As far as not being able to purchase, I went into GUD 11 days ago and bought a new bike which is registered in my name, as is the insurance. Used my passport # and apartment address. So, I don't know if a person "can" buy a bike or insurance without a Philippine license, but I do know that I just did.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I couldn't remember to say for sure but I don't think either motor I bought in my name I showed a license for and don't think I had to show one to renew the insurance also, just the registration. But for a car it may be different because the motorcycle insurance pretty much covers nothing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    A license is only required for driving and has absolutely nothing to do with vehicle ownership.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1