Dumaguete Info Search

New LTO Driver's License Law

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Dave & Imp, Apr 20, 2016.

1. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    According to the linked web site, in order to receive the Int'l Driving Permit you must present a valid Philippines driver license. The permit is for use while traveling outside the Philippines.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Has anyone tried the "Yes, my Visa is good for 36 months, which is over one year, and I go to the BI every two months to validate my remaining time with an extension" approach yet?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I would try the "Screw Dumaguete LTO branch and drive out to Bais branch and try there" approach.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. midway

midway DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    Would an international drivers license issued by the Philippines be valid in the Philippines? Seems like it would only be good outside of the Philippines while an international drivers license issued outside the Philippines would be good in the Philippines.

I may also be resign the requirements incorrectly but it appears that a Philippine license is required to get a Philippine international drivers license.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  5. Canadus

Canadus DI New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I was told that a foreign license will be accepted. It helps locals travel abroad and foreigners drive here. I was informed by the supervisor at LTO in Tagbilaran. I will be applying for mine in early August and will update then. Unless someone goes prior to that.

6. Canadus

Canadus DI New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Your visa is for 2 months only. It gets extended each visit to immigration. The document they require must state 12 months of visa. You passport will only state 2 months.

7. Canadus

Canadus DI New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Just going by what LTO told me and it seems they supply licences for driving in multiple countries including the Philippines. LTO referred me to them to be able to drive here.

8. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I could really imagine someone at LTO saying:

LTO guy "Your international driver's license is no good here because you need to be international to use it."
    Foreigner "But I am international as I'm not from this country".
    LTO guy "But here your domestic so you need a domestic license even if your a foreigner"
    Foreigner "So when is my international license useful"
    LTO guy "When your in another country sir"
    Foreigner "I am in another country, this isn't my home country"
    LTO guy "No sure, this isn't an international country, its the Philippines so you need a Philippines license sir".

Rinse and repeat until slash your own wrists.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  9. midway

midway DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    According to the US AAA site the US international drivers license is only good outside of the US, I would expect other countries to be the same. You can apply for a US international drivers license while overseas and they will mail it to you.

International Driving Permit

10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Good to see that word PERMIT as that is what it is. Not a Driving Licence. It merely Translates the License you are Driving on into English and Pointing out the Authorized categories you are allowed to Drive in your own Country or where that Particular License was issued.
    Of course it can only be used in conjunction with your Actual license.
    As I understand it from the Spanish Driving Authority on International Driving

• Agree Agree x 1