Dumaguete Info Search

New motorcycle registration

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Ezek20, May 6, 2017.

1. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Wondering if it should be better to buy an used vehicle because that one will have already a plate.

2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Are you sure? Did they pay every year so its up to date? Are all the duties paid? Is there a lien on it? Is it stolen?

There are more potential problems buying used than new. When I bought my used truck from a car lot in Cebu I thought it was a wise choice. Then I went to get it transfered to my name and could not because "there is a problem". Curious about the problem I went to an attorney to get it solved. Turns out that the vehicle was said to have been imported many years ago (it was an 18 year old truck already) and no one paid the customs duties. I have no idea if the duties were paid and I was getting scammed or if there really was a problem.

Anyway, I explained to the lawyer how this truck had already been sold to at least 3 different Filipinos and now that a foreigner owns it they don't want to transfer it to my name. He saw the prejudice in that and somehow he 'fixed it' for 20K pesos so the truck ended up registered in my name.

Wish I had bought new and waited for the plates :-)

PS: The lawyer asked for the name of the car dealership owner and for his phone number. Seems they never found the guy to ask him why the duty was not paid, and yet he is still there.

• Informative Informative x 4
  3. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    I bought a used car in Bacolod this January. Took two and half months and P2,500 to get the car to transfer the registration without any further problem. We drove the car all this time, legal or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I think the key word here is "Cebu". In the Philippines each office operates under their own rules. The Dumaguete office has different 'Standard Operating Procedures' which is obvious just taking a helmet count.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    We looked at used cars, as we prefer one about 2 to 3 years old (with about 3 months warranty, which we then top up with a purchased warranty for one year), but there was nothing on the market. What we found here was much older cars and no warranties (except "We cover the engine for a week and if it blows you buy the engine and we fit it") and I simply refuse to buy something as expensive as a car with no warranty. So, as stated in my earlier posting, we went to buy new and then when the registration problem arose we cancelled the order and very luckily found a one year version of the same car, which had 2 years warranty remaining. Also, there seems to be no insurance companies here selling used car warranties. So I recommend used IF there is at least one year manufacturer's warranty remaining.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Are there car brands around giving more than 3 years of manufacturer warranty? In Germany or Switzerland Kia is offering 7 year warranty including servicing for free in that time as long a specific mileage is not surpassed.

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    This problem can be solved and it is up to the Dealer to solve. The dealer knows how but :banghead:

8. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I do not recommend doing illegal things, but I think I would just drive it and act dumb if stopped (when was the last time you saw someone pulled over for lack of plate?) . Learn how to identify the check points in advance to arriving at them, and sit down with the group of obviously also illegal riders and add some words to your vocabulary. An insurance policy of carrying a little extra cash, up to 5,000 P I guess, for bribing your way out a problem may be wise also. Know the Mayor of Dumaguete's first name even if you do not know him personally and mention being married (or at least sleeping with :o o:) his cousin (just pray the officer is not married to her also). I would not worry a whole lot about it. I would just practice smiling and playing dumb... I have that down now. :eek: This is just another alternative approach to solving a ridiculous problem created by the Filipino government agencies. :o o:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    It seems to be locally that Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Kia all give 5 years (with varying mileage limits) and Toyota gives 3. But we noticed that some new cars have no airbags and some only the driver's airbag; I think a driver and passenger airbag on a new car should be expected by now.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. OP
    OP
    Ezek20

Ezek20 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    @Jack Peterson the information about new plates I saw, spoke about plates paid in 2015 and given in 2016.. Could not see any up to date information, sorry.

Anyways, I spoke with in charge woman in LTO, they cannot do anything. It is the dealerships job. She did say though that it is a lie that it takes 2-3 months.. It is 7 days. I saw some articles as well and gov.ph information for new vehicle owners from 2014/2015. It should not take more than 7 days. If it does, you can file a complaint at LTO and if the dealership is at fault (which usually is the case, they might hold on to your papers for months before sending them forward....) they will be fined 100,000 php first time, 500,000 php second time and have their license as dealership cancelled on third time.

Therefore, I went back to the dealership today with my wife (to be my spoke woman...) and gave them ultimatum that I will come back next Monday for my registration papers and if they fail to comply I will file a complaint against the dealership. The salesman was in panic and kept running to the back office and tried desperately print a paper 'proving' that they sent the papers to Cebu already. However, according to LTO the correct venue is not Cebu necessary and can be done even online (Brand New.)

Interesting information for future vehicle buyers (assuming the online info can be trusted):
    http://www.gov.ph/2015/03/31/reminders-new-vehicle-owners-lto/
    After buying new car, you should receive your plate within 7 days

At least this is how I've understood the process so far by speaking with the LTO in charge and reading Government pages and current laws. But since this is Philippines, I cannot be sure...

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: May 8, 2017