BoI Info Best Posts in Thread: NEW rules on ENTRY of FOREIGNERS

1. Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Pandemic-Surviving Oma
    Ratings:
    +209 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The new rule, officially posted as Advisory dated March 2, 2021 by the Bureau of Immigration (BI) at https://immigration.gov.ph/images/Advisory/2021/03_Mar/2021Mar05_advisory.jpg, appears intended to benefit a foreigner lawfully admitted as permanent resident in the Philippines and who departed for temporary visit abroad, then became stranded there by CoViD-19 travel restrictions, yet whose Immigrant Visa remains valid albeit with his Re-entry Permit (RP) expired. At the same time, it also appears intended to benefit a foreigner who was either lawfully gainfully employed in the Philippines under a 9(g) special work permit or was lawfully school-enrolled in the Philippines under a 9(f) special student permit and who departed for temporary visit abroad, then became stranded there by CoViD-19 travel restrictions, and yet whose Non-Immigrant Visa remains valid albeit with his Special Return Certificate (SRC) expired.

BI regulations require the above-mentioned category of foreigners who are valid ACR I-Card holders to obtain pre-departure fee-paid RP or SRC at the Bureau of Immigration (BI) Main Office or at the departure airport or else lose legal status and/or ability to re-enter Philippines. Upon return, they are supposed to manifest compliance before BI officers at arrival airport by presenting the BI Official Receipt acknowledging fee payment.

The validity of an RP or an SRC is 6 months to 1 year from date of departure. What makes the rule new is the authorization of post-departure renewal or extension beyond the 6-month or 1 year validity of RPs or SRCs that expired while temporarily abroad due to CoViD-19 travel restrictions, though only for still valid visas, and of acceptance of RP and SRC fee payments by BI Cashiers at the arrival airport that enable a foreigner to re-enter Philippines and maintain legal status.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Hopefully.

For all the things I write about the risks now being taken, I really hope this country can get back to a good state in its well-being and economy. It has enough knocks from natural disasters, plus a few self-created.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    New legislation must be printed in "news reports and media" for a certain amount of time to inform the public before the law goes into effect so I'm not sure why getting this information from those sources would be seen as a bad thing. Do you think I'm read opinion pieces when looking this stuff up?

Again, I am talking about policy and guidelines put out by government agencies and entities. They DO change without the approval of Congress or the executive branch and you are refusing to acknowledge this.

Example: the Dumaguete LTO decided not to give foreigners a driver's license if they weren't on a permanent resident visa longer than one year, then they didn't require it, then they did, who knows what the actual rule is now? Will it be the same next week? Next year? Meanwhile, Bais LTO was giving out license to anyone that applied. Did Congress or the president pass any legislation or executive order mandating this? It doesn't matter which way you look at it local policy was changing the way the law was being implemented and enforced.

Example: acquiring an exit clearance at the airport. Just search the term on this forum to see how many times this has changed over the years and the confusion surrounding the rule.

Example: the IATF can change rules mandating or restricting the actions, travel and livelihoods of everyone in the country without having to wait for Congress or the President to write up, debate on, amend, debate again, vote on and then sign a new bill every single time there is a policy change.

Policy and SOP of any government agency changes as frequently, many times much more frequently, as the OIC of the agency does. This is by design and legislation, many times, gives broad powers to government agencies to come up with their own policy. It has to be that way because the legislative process is, by design, slow and difficult. Policy and enforcement of the law is what the end user has to deal with in their daily lives.

Rye83
    This message by Rye83 has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Off-Topic Off-Topic x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    And the missionaries told these 'common folk' "Close your eyes and pray" - and they did. When they opened their eyes they found they were holding the Bible - the missionaries were now holding their land.

Notmyrealname
    This message by Notmyrealname has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Pandemic-Surviving Oma
    Ratings:
    +209 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The Filipino's respect for duly instituted governing authorities is not blind obedience acted out in religious observance. There is a difference between being spiritually righteous and being behaviorally religious.

I would say that the soul of the Filipino nation believes that God's hand is at work in the governance of the country. To understand why, it may bear to recall that, in the mid-1800s while under Spanish rule, young affluent Filipino Indios or natives (historically called "Ilustrados") lived as legal aliens in Europe as students aspiring for higher education. The European continent then was in the midst of spiritual change resulting from an earlier Reformation movement precipitated by Martin Luther's biblical assertion that salvation is a work of divine grace as against Papal canon that salvation is worked out by purchasing indulgences even as it was also in the midst of a religious revolution resulting from the separation of the Church of England from Rome. It was also during this tumultuous period that the Vulgate (Latin Bible), previously prohibited to be translated and read in the vernacular by laymen since 1199 by Papal law and since 1474 by Spanish state law, was translated by the British and Foreign Bible Society into various vernaculars and then distributed among common folk.

God's word in translated New Testament spiritually opened the eyes of the "Ilustrados" to the truth that personal salvation is grace received by faith alone and to the reality that Spanish friar religious practices in Las Islas Filipinas were exploitative, corrupt, and abusive, including in the eyes of one Jose Rizal who was in Germany to advance his studies in Opthalmology. These biblically gained spiritual and political truths stirred up a hunger for reforms, inspiring church and regional activism against Spanish friar practices, long painfully tolerated and endured for fear of catechised damnation in fires of hell. Smuggled copies of translated Bibles became part of political propaganda sowing seeds of hope and revolutionary spirit that soon solidified into the 1896 Himagsikang Pilipino. In this manner, providence delivered the country from Spanish conquistadores-frailes religious yet unholy governance of Las Islas Filipinas.

Presently, now that church and state in Philippines run separate albeit parallel direction, it is all the more that Filipino Christians believe God's word that governing authorities are put in place by his divine authority. Your perception that Filipinos look up to governing authorities as divine persons, as if they are like the Japanese looking up to their divine Emperor, is quite mistaken. Such undeserved high regard countervails against God's word that "... I am God, and there is no other..." and constitutes an act of idolatry that incurs his jealous wrath. In practical truth, Filipinos regard their duly instituted governing authorities as public servants vested with duly legislated powers, to be exercised in duty ethically, subject to scrutiny by the citizenry.

Generally, Filipino Christians and Muslims alike respect the Philippine Government with civil obedience and/or abidance to regulations in order to maintain peace and order but they do not worship the Government, as you so perceive or put confusingly; for again, such misplaced adoration would be an act of idolatry by God's word or by the Quran.

Now if respecting one's government make a citizenry perfect victims for the crimes of its governing authorities, what country can boast as exempt? Certainly not the USA.

Mom Miriam
    This message by Mom Miriam has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    What? I'm not talking about a single legal definition. I'm taking about policies of government agencies. It does not take an act of Congress to change a lot of these policies (or the definitions they use). A lot of them don't even take an executive order to change. It is even possible for the way they are applied to change based on how the government employee at the counter decides to interpret the policy or definition, come back the next day with a different employee and you can get a very different answer. (I admit that last one is not how it is intended to work...but it is very often the reality here.)

I guess you could argue that policies and SOPs are not law but we must still follow them and they do change all the time without Congress or the president lifting a hand.

Rye83
    This message by Rye83 has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Pandemic-Surviving Oma
    Ratings:
    +209 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't take coffee, I take tea, my dear
    I like my toast done on one side
    And you can hear it in my accent when I talk
    I'm an Englishman in New York

See me walking down Fifth Avenue
    A walking cane here at my side
    I take it everywhere I walk

Oh, I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien

If "manners maketh man" as someone said
    He's the hero of the day
    It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile
    Be yourself no matter what they say

Modesty, propriety, can lead to notoriety
    You could end up as the only one
    Gentleness, sobriety are rare in this society
    At night a candle's brighter than the sun

Takes more than combat gear to make a man
    Takes more than a license for a gun
    Confront your enemies, avoid them when you can
    A gentleman will walk but never run

If "manners maketh man" as someone said
    Then he's the hero of the day
    It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile
    Be yourself, no matter what they say

I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien
    I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien

:singing:Sting sings it all!

Mom Miriam
    This message by Mom Miriam has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Chriscraft

Chriscraft DI Member

Retired digital nomad
    Ratings:
    +77 / 15
    When I lived in Malta (2003-2010) I was an alien too! They even stated it on the national ID-card! Sting considered himself an alien in this song... (Englishman in New York) :smile:

Chriscraft
    This message by Chriscraft has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Pandemic-Surviving Oma
    Ratings:
    +209 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not so. Under American rule, Commonwealth Act No. 613 (August 26, 1940) or “The Philippine Immigration Act of 1940” used the word “alien” solely throughout its wording to refer to non-natives. It’s been 80 years since and, to this day, the Philippine Government basically adheres to it and continues to implement it thru the Bureau of Immigration.

It was only after 3 new laws and 1 rule that, 63 years later in 2003, Philippine law began to refer to a non-native as a “foreigner” for the first time by the enactment of Republic Act No. 9208 (May 26, 2003) or the "Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act of 2003,” so that we now use "alien" or "foreigner" interchangeably in our rules and conversations. If our laws had originally been in native language, instead of in Spanish or English, I suppose we would be referring to non-natives non-defensibly or more kindly as “travelers” or “sojourners,” the Tagalog word for a non-native being “dayuhan,” meaning “traveler” from the word “dayo” which means "to travel;" and the Cebuano word for a non-native being “langyaw” which means “traveler” or “to travel.”

Mom Miriam
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  10. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    Sad to say that most of you will remain poor forever because of this.

charlyB
    This message by charlyB has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1