Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Newbie planning to move to Dumaguete

1. Jake78

Jake78 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hi Everyone! I'm a newbie here and planing to move to Dumaguete and hopefully establish a small business . I retired early after working for a multinational company for 30 years. When I visited Duma last year, I decided that this is the city where I will spend my retirement. Hope to hear from you all.

• Like Like x 5
  2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Harold's Mansion also has dorms. Last rates I came across were something like 300 a night.

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    $10 is quite a lot for dormitory accommodations in Dumaguete (about twice as much as you should be spending). If you decide to stay in such a place make sure you are only bringing clothes. Keep anything valuable on you at all times. You electronics/expensive items will get jacked if you leave it unattended in the room.

It's a bad idea to come to the Philippines/Dumaguete on a limited budget and think you are going to open a business and live off of the profits....unless you are comfortable living in an unfinished house/boarding house with dirt floors, with a few light bulbs, no ref and surviving mainly on rice like a local. Almost every expat you will see with successful businesses (technically they don't actually own sh*t) in Dumaguete came with a small fortune to start and the profitable existing business was likely not their first attempt. If you have experience with your own business in the West you might as well throw all that knowledge out the window, things are not done the same in the Philippines. Also, starting a business catering to expats in Dumaguete is a bad idea as well. Most expats living in Dumaguete are about as cheap as locals (yet complain 10 times more than locals do). Most want Western products and service at Filipino prices, quite ridiculous dealing with us. Avoid like the plague. :wink:

Then again, your posting location seems to suggest you are already in the Philippines so maybe you are already aware of all of the above.

Are you married to a local?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jake78

Jake78 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Thank you so much for the advise. Actually I'm a Filipino so I can easily adjust with the locals.

• Like Like x 2
  5. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My daughter who stayed at a boarding house along with other girls: "Mama, I left my basket of stuff in the shower and my nail brush was gone. The next day somebody left her basket at the shower and I saw my brush in it. Stupid of her to not hide it in her room." All her stuff were safe on her seven months stay in that boarding house which might not have been the case if she stayed with my family (no locks, everybody is welcome type of environment)
    I think it helped that she looks like a local unless she talks. She walked around with the cheapest cherry mobile phone and only uses her better electronic items in her room or in the library.

• Like Like x 2
  6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Good luck with your move and transition, and with your startup objective.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Welcome.jpg Despite things you may hear or read sometimes, I hope you find it as Good as a Resident as you did a Tourist :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2