Dumaguete Info Search

No Stimulus Pay if

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by PatO, Apr 23, 2020.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    If you filed US tax return and included your spouse’s itin, you are excluded from receiving the stimulus money, because she or he is considered an immigrant.
    Before I get jumped on for wanting money, it is because I support and subsidize (my choice) 18 family members in my compound. Actually, I personally haven’t filed a tax return in 7 years so no idea if I am eligible.

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hmm. I don't remember seeing that in the rules. I could understand them only giving you the 1200 instead of the 2400 since your wife isn't a citizen (the US taxpayers should have no obligation to help out foreigners/non-residents).

3. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    If you receive social security you will get a payment in the second wave. If you receive SS by direct deposit IN A US BANK you will get it that way; I doubt that the US treasury us set-up or to would pay the fees to deposit in foreign banks. In such cases, you would receive a check in the mail to the US address on record. Of course, if wife is not a US citizen or green card holder she is not eligible and they will not give any US stimulus intended for citizens/residents if joint tax return includes a TIN for foreigners. I guess they are not sure who gets the money (I know which spouse in my household handles the money haha).

Just file a 2019 tax return filing separately using direct deposit to a US bank even if you don’t need to, and amend it later on if entitled to a refun If not on SS. In either case, indicate a US bank for receiving refund or paying even if no refund or payment is due. File online separately using a free program like TAX ACT. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    hey pat...
    i haven't filed a usa tax return in ~20 years and i just got an email bank alert that my $1200 stimulus payment was direct deposited into my usa bank acct, so hang in there.

5. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Thanks Norm. My direct deposit goes to a Philippines bank so I probably will not get it. Enjoy yours and cheers when they lift the liquor prohibition.

6. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    If you have a SSA account with a Philippine bank then your money is deposited in a US bank with an affiliation with your Philippine bank (Mine is BDO and they use Bank of Melon NY) .. check your direct deposit info and you will find that it is a US bank... so you will get your stimulus payment like every one else... cheers :smile:
    Edit... I should have said check the Routing number and you will find it is registered to a US bank....

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  7. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    I will check my account Monday or Tuesday, assuming I still look 59. Lol
    Please let me know if you receive yours. Thanks

8. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    This says both must have social security numbers if filing jointly:

https://www.latimes.com/politics/st...-coronavirus-relief-checks-married-immigrants
    But to be eligible, both spouses in families that file joint tax returns must have Social Security numbers — unless one of them is a member of the military.

You can get an ITIN without being a citizen. Years ago my wife had one, so that she could get a work authorization while on a fiancee visa. My Dad will waiting to get his SS, but as said I think it comes in early May.

9. vonmark

vonmark DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Does any one here still did not get there first Stimulus check due to check was sent through postmail?
    My partner check was sent last May 2 and til now no news about it. Done faxing form 3911 but they can't give a new one or have it direct deposit since the check was not back to sender. Any idea what must I do? Call 8888 :smile:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  10. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Kiss it goodbye I think.

• Thanks Thanks x 1