Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: No Tricycles/Pedicabs between Dumaguete and Sibulan?

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Diving without a horn in the Philippines is almost suicidal. I use mine all the time and won't ride that bike/vehicle if it isn't working. Quick double horn tap is almost universally used in the Philippines to mean, "I'm coming up on you, don't do something stupid."

3 or more quick honks usually means, "I'm driving fast and in a hurry. Don't do something stupid."

A long horn honk either means, "f*ck you" or, "prepare for a collision".

Horn honks are a courtesy to dumdums with p*ss poor driving skills. It lets these idiots know someone is coming up on them.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    I agree with you that drivers do not use the horn in Dumaguete or heavy traffic anywhere. Once you are on the highway where traffic flows faster then having a horn is a necessity.
    When someone overtakes me on the highway and our speed difference is big I get really annoyed if they don't give a toot, toot. No warning is just plain dangerous IMO.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    This might be a bit off topic but something I have noticed here mostly regarding car drivers is the flashing of headlights especially when they are overtaking somewhere it is not safe to overtake.
    In the UK flashing your headlight's unofficially means you are giving right of way (the highway code does not condone this but people still do it)
    But here it seems to mean I am your side of the road so GET OUT OF MY WAY.
    Another lesson learned.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The way it is supposed to work if you live outside of Dumaguete: trike from your house to your municipality jeepney/bus terminal, jeepney/bus to Dumaguete, once in Dumaguete trike to where you are going. Reverse it going back home. Trikes should be able to operate on national highways within Dumaguete since the speed limit is below 40kph.

This is public transportation in the Philippines. Don't like it; buy a car and hire a driver. Let's not act like there aren't options to deal with this enforcement.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Put it on the back of a pick-up truck and you have a Filipino version of an RV. In this case it appears to be a mobile home.

• Like Like x 3
  6. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I take them on trykes when ever I transport them and they are not cargo riding under a bus

• Like Like x 3
  7. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Over the past 20 years that I have been in Dumaguete it has always seemed to me to be sensible to allow the Pedicabs to only ply the local area where they are centered. For example, for Dumaguete itself, down south as far as Robinsons, north to the Provincial hospital and inland to Hypermart. If you want to travel further, catch an Easy-ride or a bus. And for the buses, what is badly needed is a bus terminus north of the City centre to remove them completely from the city centre. If we must put up with buses going through the city, ban the use of air horns when inside the city limits, for all vehicles especially buses that most of the time blast them for absolutely no reason than to just say "GET OUT OF MY WAY".

• Like Like x 3
  8. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the highway police mean when they say there are alternate routes. Maybe you just have to enter Sibulan via a secondary road, then you can jump back on to the highway.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I have a vision problem and can't drive so I rely on trycycles for transportation, now I'm screwed. I will have to rely on a motorcycle driver I don't knout I have to admit because of my eyes I have been using them for nearly 10 of my 22 years here and never had a problem other than a flat tire. I feel much safer riding them than on the back of a motorcycle where I have no control over the driver I don't know. Also hauling my dogs to the vet or groceries (a bag of rice, a bag of dog food and lots of other stuff) home will be very difficult.

My 16 year old daughter and her classmates ride together on a trycycle coming home from school to the airport area, I think she will have to go to Changgi market and wait who knows how long for a multicab. I just wish they could expand public transportation before banning the trycycles so many people count on

• Like Like x 3
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Now now, use your big boy reading comprehension skills and the logical part of your brain (if you even have that, which is very questionable IMO). I never said I use long horn honks as a f*ck you. I said that's what they could mean. I use a long horn honk as a "prepare for a collision" which usually comes along with tire screeching, luckily I didn't hit the idiots (the last one being 5 retards on a scooter coming off a side road without braking or looking). Long ago I had some road rage issues but quickly realized it made absolutely zero impact on how others drove.

I'm sorry you haven't figured it out yet but your confusion and learning disability doesn't make it less true.

• Like Like x 2