Dumaguete Info Search

NORECO II is Experiencing Rotating Brownouts

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Rye83, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Never owned one here or back in Oz, why bother when it is so easy to make using a pot. :o o:

2. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Lets you know everyday it was well worth the expense doesn't it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    About 2 minutes after sending you the suggestion the other day I realized, why would NORECO want anyone to save electricity ? They are in business to sell as much electricity and make as much profit as humanly possible. So I highly doubt they would be interested in having [people cut back on usage.
    I saw where someone thought NORECO at one time suggested turning off the refrig for 8 a hours a night. What good would that do ? When you turn it back on it will only run twice as much to refreeze and re-cool, everything. That suggestion makes no sense to me. It is easier and more economical to keep something frozen/cool that to re-do it every day. I had 2 semesters of refrigeration and air-conditioning in college years back but the principles have not changed.
    As far as NORECO wanting us to save power, it's the old deal of "does a cancer doctor really want a total cure or prevention of cancer" ? Does any company really want to produce a product that never wears out ? No they don't. And I doubt NORECO is really interested in us saving electricity so they can make less money.
    Cheers

4. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    We have a electric rice cooker but the wife seldom uses it. Only a pot. I have never seen anyone in her entire family use a rice cooker other than a pot, mostly over an open fire.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I am an idiot mate, works out I have lost more than 100,000php in electrical equipment since arriving here, SHOULD have invested the 10th it cost for the 2x units instead of being so d*mn kuripot!! :rolleyes:

*EDIT:
    IF The Laptop is lunched than make that 200,000+php :grumpy:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Such is life and if you were a Director of a Company you would not be saying this but you are not, so let's just go with the flow while we are here, cos it ain't going to change in Our lifetime :wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It can be hard for some people to go with the flow when they are paying for a service, and a necessary utility at that, they aren't getting reliably. Please understand that people are going to get upset and frustrated. Even Filipinos complain quite frequently about NORECO's service on their Facebook page (read the reviews). The local "flow" is to complain about it. The locals deserve reliable electricity, not having it stifles economic growth and stability.

I understand that your wife holds a high managerial position with NORECO (and I imagine you may, I'm not sure on that one, hold some stock in the cooperative) but please understand that people are not personally sending insults to your wife or your personal investments choices when they complain about the service NORECO provides. Both expats and Filipino are customers and they have a right to complain without being belittled while doing it.

On the same note, customers should refrain from calling NORECO employees names. Comment on the service they are trying to provide without ad hominem attacks. I understand very well that frustrations can grow extremely high with the reliability of utilities in the Philippines but personal attacks against underpaid and undertrained utility employees does nothing to make them want to try harder.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    BTW: for some of us it probably will change in our lifetimes:

However, I don't think that the power generation is the problem. It is the distribution that is in desperate need of attention.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    And preventative maintenance!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    It will all come together in time... :whistling:

I remember living through rolling black-outs in my youth back in Oz, even when I had my accident back in '84 and was long term cooped up in Hospital I remember watching every few hours; the lights go out across the City block by block, and that went on for many years until the Government basically sacked everyone in the game and replaced them with new workers (yes our Premier at the time was reckoned to be a Dictator but he got things done!) Back in 2011 we had 3 or 4 days without electricity (but that was due to 75% of the state being under 30 meters of water at the time) but it does happen even in so called First World countries.

Just like the Internet here, I waited 2+ years, and with somewhat dampened patience, it eventually it came to my door and now I am typing this reply... :smile:

Now; maybe if NORECO took over the water supply also we would (MIGHT) have running water at the tap here (Maluay) like everywhere else along the National Highway to go hand in hand with their intermittent Electricity supply, which IMHO; would be better than NOTHING! :wink: (It COULD BE A LOT WORSE than it is folks!)

• Like Like x 1