Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Not relocating to Philippines.

1. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I returned to UK just over 2 months ago and there is a lot to be said about the benefits of living here, especially in Scotland the Chosen Land, quite a few people did tell me before I left PH that the cost of living there would shock me as the price of food has rocketed, well I have found this not to be the case, eating a more western type of diet in PH is much more expensive than here in the UK, but that also can be said of the Filipino diet, you can buy a Kilo of rice here in UK for P30 this is a Long grain supermarket own brand, back in PH I seem to remember the price of rice there ranges from around P40 to around P60, a Kilo of sugar here in UK is P45, I believe it is near double that in PH, Beer and wine prices here in UK are not all that bad all things considered, A litre of good German beer here costs P180 in a Supermarket, back in PH buying Beer by the case it is around P120 per Litre but this is of inferior quality in my opinion? Wine here in a UK supermarket, there is just too many to choose from, but there will always be one or two of the well-known brands on offer, for around P330 per bottle, I seem to remember that price of petrol back there is around P82 per litre, in UK it is P120, but the much improved driving style in UK plus not needing to use AC all that often you can get almost half again the mileage per tank of fuel, car insurance is also less expensive here than there.

Housing now that is really expensive here in UK, to rent and run (paying council tax and energy costs) a small 2bed apartment here is around P50K per month, in my case I own my ain wee hoose, this is a 4bed 128M2 Bungalow, my expenses to run this for one month is around P33K, if I lived in England? I could add 10 to 15% to these figures, it is not uncommon for an Englishman to cash in his assets and emigrate to Scotland, houses in England especially close to the big cities are often worth double the price of a similar hoose in Scotland? we call these immigrants White Settlers.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    That reminds me of the farmer who after 50 years of living off the land, decided to sell up and retire.
    The Estate Agents described the property so nicely in their brochure with the asking price.
    The farmer returned to their office quite quickly and said take it off the market!..........I've been looking for a place like that all my life!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  3. DiverTim

DiverTim DI Member

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +125 / 11
    UK is in a real mess, EU too what with the war started by Russia. Glad to get away from UK sewage politics, woke LBGTB BLM uncontrolled illegal immigration etc etc. Philippines might be backward BUT at least you don't expect it to be anything else!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Sorry it doesn't work for you. Obviously, it is an adjustment for most foreigners. Good luck wherever you find your home. Stay safe Oz

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    We just found it wasn't the same, hard to explain but wife felt the same. One thing It seamed everyone had a hand out much more than before. People seam to be doing it really hard, more so than normal. Prices are a lot more than before, yeah sure I understand inflation but felt like everyone was taking the p*ss. E.G we use to pay 3000p for a van Cebu air port down south now we paid 5500p and was quoted up to 6500p. That was just one thing and the first when we landed. Welcome to the Philippines. The wife saw the same when she would go out without me so we are not talking foreigner tax.
    But you guys are on the ground maybe it was just me.

JB you ask if Thailand is a option.
    Thailand was so much cheaper than Philippines (excluding school) and no one asking for had outs, food was awesome and you can get a good coffee anywhere. Place is clean, somewhat organised and very safe. Plus the roads are in super good condition. Finding a good quality rental house was very easy and so much to chose from. They have a massive over supply of houses for rent and sale.

We all loved our stay in Chiang mai but it still comes back to the education and why we didn't stay or go back.

We have discussed when the youngest is in University in Australia maybe the wife and I try again, I will still be early 60"s

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Good luck with your life in Australia. Anyone with children has to think very carefully about relocating here as the public education system is truly shocking - a child will be set back many years unless the parents pay for private education but not all of that is good either.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Not everyone goes for the women.

Sure I am married to a Filipina but I met her in Australia. I traveled a fair bit to Philippines and Thailand before I met her but it was always for other reasons and women were not part of my trips.

• Like Like x 2
  8. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    So Ozz, you say it's changed even though you have been many times previously, in what way?
    Inflation has happened just about everywhere around the globe in the past 12 months or more
    How has Philippines changed compared to Thailand? Q: Is Thailand an option?
    My wife will travel to Phiippines at the end of the month, although I chose not to go with her, the provences have always appeal to me.
    With what's happening in Europe at the moment, I think Philippines is option to consider.
    Interested to hear more Good luck for the future....JB

• Like Like x 2