Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Off-topic Thread

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Both the personal attacks and antagonizing conspiratorial/trolling posts are going to come to a stop soon. If anyone sees these posts report them (I do not have time to read every post made on the forum), do NOT feed the trolls. Feeding the trolls is about to become a violation worthy of points as well. I see very clearly who the troll is. The account will not be around much longer if this behavior continues. I already see 3 posts from the troll that could have points issued. Anything other than helpful and courteous posts from that member will receive points moving forward.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  2. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sure I would like that, it was Andyflip who called another a dickhead, then I post others are "punished" for less, my post deleted and the thread moved to of topic. Honestly, if not this with Notmyrealname came up, I was not spending time on this. I find this site good in many ways, I gain a lot of info from all around, food, restaurants, doctors/dentist, car parts, places to visit, and much more. I will do the same in this site as I do in real life, if I find people annoying, I move my @ss to another place. I enjoy living here in the Philippines, and will not let me get disturbed by that kind of bagatelles, have a nice and sunny day everyone

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I know your style is not to delete but to reply, rate or ignore. That is fine.

I am not sure why you wrote that posts have "every right to be deleted" - surely that must depend on the post. In my case my post was no more off topic than the moderator @DavyL200, who may have chosen to delete my post in reply to his - I cannot apportion blame as yet as no-one is telling me who deleted them. The moderator's post was writing about "drivel" and "people having nowt better to do" on a thread about relocation! On topic??? Really!

"I think it best not to push back too hard on this issue" is really a not too subtle warning to me not to say anything about having posts unfairly deleted but to just shut up. But I am not the man to kowtow when I am being treated unfairly. So delete me if you wish, but others here will understand why. Then I join the list of those who either were deleted (we do not know) or those who gave up, for various reasons.

Being a moderator has responsibilities of fairness and the ability to look at things from a moderator's perspective and not take things personally - if people are told to accept everything and just shut up then it seems we are being treated as children.

Rather than being warned or banned, I should receive an apology.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    This will always be the case with communication - whomsoever owns and/or moderates it has to maintain a set of standards. These standards may be in part enshrined in law, so that communication does not become illegal. With privately owned forms of communication, such as this Forum, it is entirely up to the owners and moderators to set their own standards - it gives us two choice: 1) Follow those standards 2) Find another Forum.

I am sure this Forum was never designed to become a means of anonymously attacking other people. Also, it is not a monopoly as anyone can set up their own Forum and allow personal attacks if they wish - I am guessing that within a short time it would consist of a mere handful of members, all of whom derive joy from being nasty to each other. All the decent members, who seek information, share common ideas and hobbies, etc., would have left because that would not be why they joined.

I think we are fortunate to have this Forum and must respect its rules - going outside the Forum if we think we cannot post here as we please.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    Why are you always so rude/ aggressive/ confrontational when someone disagrees with you or makes a comment you don't like? It's really rather obnoxious behaviour. Time and again you have done this. Show a bit of respect to other members of this forum.

Comments such as "idiot" "hide behind your dictionary" "well-below average IQ" etc are childish and unnecessary.

I thought people are supposed to chill out more when they age.......?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2020
  6. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Best Answer
    I became interested when I read a book at that age from the school library - 'The Virus Hunters'. I chose it as my prize for biology but they couldn't get it, so I took the cash and ran!

I did some online research regarding your point about humidity and it may be that the viral particles cannot travel through humid air as easily as in dry air (for obvious reasons) and the cilia (hairs) in the respiratory system work better in humid conditions. Also, in influenza, it has been found that in a moist environment the body's immune system functions more efficiently and lung tissues repairs itself better.

I am not sure about the virus absorbing water to the point it splits open - they have coats containing lipids (fats) and these are not good at absorbing water. It would seem bad evolution if it was that easily destroyed and you will note that all the possible reasons above are related to factors not within the virus itself.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

well i agree that moderators in general should be diplomatic. what i read is that moderators in general should strive to increase membership in their forum and do what they can to help users enjoy coming to the forum i would imagine most of us have more pros then cons here or we would not stay. i just want to state my general support for NMRN observations and i also consider the post of davy whatever to be in appropriate, trite, et cet. not befitting his role here.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    Dumaguete has been greatly damaged by publications like Forbes who are saying its the number #1 retirement place in the world,, it is not. There are a lot of people here investing in property with those claims in mind. Rooms and studio apartments on the beach near Dumaguete have been running around 9,000 to 12,000 a month for years and like places in the hills and further out of town were renting for 6,000 to 8,000 a month.. Due to the big hype about living at higher elevations for a cooler climate these are now apartments are no going for 16,000 to 25,000 per month.
    Property's that were 150 to 200 peso's a sqmtr in the hills are now going for 1,200 to 1,500 a sqmtr. With no legal right of way overloaded water and electric systems in the vicinity if their are any at all within a 500 meters of the property.. Come with open eyes and look around before making a commitment here..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    This thread is another one that started as a completely different (and interesting) subject and has degenerated into another argument about 'the virus'. Personally, I'm sick to the back teeth with pointless off-topic rants about Covid-19 going back and forth with opposing views on something that none of us know what will be the final outcome of. As we say in UK, 'Give it a Rest'. What will be, will be.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Having read through these replies re trolling, and followed some other posts on this subject of calling someone "stupid", it appears to me that I am the one being referred to as a troll. For using the word "stupid" I am sorry for using that word. It was in the heat of the moment and on reflection, I think "misinformed" may have been the word to use. I do feel strongly on the matter of precautions to be taken by everyone who chooses to go out and about in the community taking the risk of infecting others particularly as the infection cannot readily be seen on oneself for quite some time and of course, catching the infection from others and in turn passing it around. I wont go any further except to reiterate that Corona 19 is dangerous and I apologize to those I offended.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1