Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Off-topic Thread

1. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    It's not a matter of total assurance, it is a matter of minimizing risk. Physical distancing and everybody wearing a mask HUGELY reduces the risk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Interesting - but at times of high body temperature (which increases brain temperature) the likelihood of hallucinating is increased.

When under anaesthetic there seems to be no awareness; when sleeping there is no 'awareness' but just dreaming due to the action of a functioning brain; I have no memory of what I was before I was born and I assume the same will be true after I have died.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Paul Revere heard you first

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I believe to have or not have a belief in religion is one of the few personal choices we have left.
    To get called down for being a believer or not a believer is offensive and annoying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JoyDelicacies

JoyDelicacies DI Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 43
    As you well know there is not only "A" and "B" to choose from, there is a whole alphabet. I would never presume to tell anyone that they are wrong or even make a judgement on what they decide. That is their business and their decision. Whatever a person chooses from atheism on up is personal and as with any other choice individuals make, it is not my business unless it infringes on me.
    However, you asked the question so I will answer but only for myself. I realize that many make fun of or mock the Bible and point out all of the faults that they perceive from a human standpoint. We could discuss the so called mistakes and seeming contradictions at great length. This is done every day all over the world and it is interesting but there is no profit in it. Although faith has to come into play at some point for true belief, most, but not all, of the perceived problems with the Bible as being the ultimate authority can be overcome with logic and knowledge. That logic and knowledge can get really lengthy and is not something we can get fully into here.
    There is one basic thing that is easy to explain and it is the one thing that sold me in the beginning of my faith journey over 50 years ago. That is the fact that about one third of the Bible is prophecy and about two thirds of that prophecy have been fulfilled perfectly. Bible prophecy is not like other prophecy where the references are vague, general, or slightly "off", like Nostradamus's reference to "Hister". They are accurate and fulfilled perfectly. These prophecies are about many things. There are about 340 predictions in the Old Testament about Christ's first coming. They predicted where He would come from, what He would do, how He would live and die, and the resurrection. These prophecies are very detailed and have come to pass exactly as described. As one example, the day that Christ would present Himself to Israel, the Triumphal Entry or Palm Sunday, was predicted to the day over 400 years in advance by Daniel. The Roman Catholic church used to teach that the book of Daniel was written after Christ's coming because they did not believe the prophecy could have been written so accurately 400 years prior to the event. When the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered there was a copy of Daniel, a copy that is to the letter identical to other known copies, that dated to 200 years BC.
    If you write a book and tell me it is all true and include 1000 things that will happen next month in great detail and 600 of them come to pass exactly as predicted, I will believe the other 400 with full faith, and the rest of what you tell me too, even if some is bizarre. That is my logic and where my faith is based. People say, "yes, but .......". My answer is usually "I don't know, but this is why I believe".

• Like Like x 3
    • Genius Genius x 1
  6. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Your comments are normally quite constrained - without being offensive I think that writing too much here can actually be bad for mental health. When I wrote endlessly about face masks I was contradicted time and time again - in the end I gave up refuting and just thought I had said enough for those who wanted to listen. So it seems most comments here will result in some agreeing and some disagreeing - seeming like your efforts are being undermined. I feel it is best to just say what you want to say and not let what the writer may perceive (rightly or wrongly) as negatives from others to undermine the efforts the writer is making.

But other than that, just have a break for a few days at times - it does the world of good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    I agree. I see many things I disagree with here, including not-funny humour. I either ignore, or if I feel strongly enough I comment with my view. Not sure what the negative ratings are for really.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    "Fighting the virus with humor". This is the COVID "where's the humor" thread. If you don't have a sense of humor ignore this thread, simple as that. COVID and politics are intertwined. You can not separate them. If you see something you don't like or agree with feel free to respectfully debate the issue or just move on. If this BS where people give negative ratings to things they don't agree with continues I will remove negative ratings from this subforum again, remove the user's ability to give ratings, issue warning points or give bans. (I think this is why I removed them the first time around.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Read them all, loved everyone of them, and then low and behold, I ended up in the Law Enforcement career field, loved being an investigator and ended up a Superintendent before I retired from the Air Force. The retired as an Investigator for the State of Nevada.

Amazing how some of our interests as young ones, turn into reality.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I would have given you a 'Best Answer' here but it is not available.

I suppose with so much being put (?dumped) into 'off-topic' there would be hundreds, thousands perhaps, of 'Best Answer'.

P.S. Yes, They do it call it 'bum'. Couldn't reply before as that thread was locked after you asked a question.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1