Dumaguete Info Search

Off-topic Thread

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Show Pony, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Astralweeks

Astralweeks DI Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 10
    diffrent standards

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    Well, pleased to meet you. :smile: I was teasing about being unfair. But how did you get interested in viruses at age 11/12? I think I was directionless, just analytical and good at math. I have a Malaysian Datu Doctor friend that makes posts on the virus, and he made one post on water and humidity that I've never been able to verify. That the Coronavirus absorbs moisture, and can absorb enough water that it splits open, spills out, and deactivates. Because no one ever explains why the virus doesn't like humidity. I guessed that it just got heavy and fell to the ground, etc. That there are substances in the body the virus likes that make the water there not a problem. :thumbsdown:

3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Best Answer
    I became interested when I read a book at that age from the school library - 'The Virus Hunters'. I chose it as my prize for biology but they couldn't get it, so I took the cash and ran!

I did some online research regarding your point about humidity and it may be that the viral particles cannot travel through humid air as easily as in dry air (for obvious reasons) and the cilia (hairs) in the respiratory system work better in humid conditions. Also, in influenza, it has been found that in a moist environment the body's immune system functions more efficiently and lung tissues repairs itself better.

I am not sure about the virus absorbing water to the point it splits open - they have coats containing lipids (fats) and these are not good at absorbing water. It would seem bad evolution if it was that easily destroyed and you will note that all the possible reasons above are related to factors not within the virus itself.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    That must have been some book! :smile: I think I was starting my Sci Fi interest then. My father would give old Analog Sci Fi magazines after he read them. :smile: Was Hardy Boys around then?

Thanks, I'll go look again too. Maybe I can find the old post.

5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    It was - and fascinating to read that the first virus ever seen was in 1931. Prior to that they were working with an 'unknown' structure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hardy boys... Tom Swift, then Edgar Rice Burroughs Pelucidar and John Carter of Mars... oh memories :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Read them all, loved everyone of them, and then low and behold, I ended up in the Law Enforcement career field, loved being an investigator and ended up a Superintendent before I retired from the Air Force. The retired as an Investigator for the State of Nevada.

Amazing how some of our interests as young ones, turn into reality.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    Yes, and then when they make a movie of it, it seems tame - but back then it was hot stuff. I devoured it. I was a Science Fiction/Fantasy junkie. :blackalien::happy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Enough with the conspiracy theories. It's not helpful in any way and it's not welcome on the forum.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I dont quite understand what conspiracies you are referring to. These latter posts are about virus vaccine production and results. The reference to Bill Gates can hardly be referred to as a conspiracy although the pic accompanying it is in bad taste. Bill Gates' activities have been well documented and I think any reader with any knowledge of what he has done would take no notice of the rather inane GIF of what ever they are called. I haven't bothered to look further back because I am sure if there were conspiracies there you would have posted earlier.