Dumaguete Info Search

Origin of Bad Driving in Dgte

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by PatO, Oct 7, 2012.

1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    You just hit a pedestrian here, under ANY circumstances, and then tell us who had the right of way!

Larry

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    US drivers among the worse? Apparently you have never been in the middle east. Iraq, UAE, Iran and any of those gulf countries have a SERIOUS driving problem. Check out this link.

(List of countries by traffic-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I believe this clearly shows the Philippines has a worse driving record than the US, but as someone mentioned this does not take into consideration of miles driven per death. I would say the average American drives 10-20 times more a year than a filipino. So while the Philippines has 20 some deaths per 100k people and the US 15 per 100k I would still say driving here is MUCH more risky.

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    On that same Site you can see that the death per 100k VEHICLES for the Philippines is at 600. The US is at 15. I think this statistic is far more showing than the death per citizen.

4. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My language was not precise, I was only comparing USA to R.P., not to other countries.
    I have been all over Mexico, Mexicans share the same disregard for pedestrians as I have seen in Dumaguete, but they follow more rules than R.P. In Mexico you go to jail if you do not have verifiable good insurance until all accident issues are settled (damages/bribes paid, etc.)

5. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Comparing apples to oranges...

DEATH per 100K is NOT number of accidents. As I get older I have learned to rely less on statistics and more on personal experience.

6. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Well that depends....

On who is doing the hitting and who is hit. ESPECIALLY in the R.P.

7. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Who is hitting is not as important as who is able to pay

It is not who hits who, but who has the financial ability to pay the other who is wrong here. One foreigner had a young girl run into the side of his car (he did not hit here).... it was his fault. When he asked the reason, he was told because he had insurance and ability to pay to for medical and the girl (and her family) did not so he was at fault. It had nothing to do with who hit who. I can refer you to the person this happened too.

A longer story, that has gone through too many hands to be guaranteed as true is that there was a drunk couple driving back from south of Dumaguete on the national highway at night after spending time in a bar. He was too drunk to drive so the lady drove the motorcycle, even though she had been drinking also. Someone through a log (or something out on the road) and she hit it, causing an accident, and throwing the male on the back of the bike into the air and across the street to the opposing traffic lane. A Frenchman (foreigner) was driving, sober and sanely down the road, and the drunk male was hurled into the front of his vehicle and killed. The Frenchman was guilt and put in jail because he had the funds to pay. (Anyone can confirm this I would appreciate it, I understand it happened a few years ago and represents the answer of who is consider liable here... it was told to me but I cannot confirm it).

So it seems that who hits who is not as important as who has the money to pay. It is always assumed that the foreigner is the one with the money.

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    You seem to have a lot to learn about life here.

Larry

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I remember reading that in the paper, I believe the foreigner was released after paying the family.

Larry

10. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Well that was the point I was trying to make in the post you replied to. Thanks for the elaboration.