Dumaguete Info Search

Origin of Bad Driving in Dgte

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by PatO, Oct 7, 2012.

1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I guess I didn't grasp your point. The thread had gone in the direction of "who is at fault". By making the foreigner pay, obviously HE was found to be at fault, even though he was just toodling along on his own side of the road.

If you are driving downtown and a pedestrian walks into the side of your car and you run over his foot with your rear tire, you will likely be found at fault. Do you pay or stay in jail?

Larry

2. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Who is at fault; who pays, what makes sense and to whom?

It's ok I wasn't clear I guess. Do you know someone who this this wheel/foot thing has happened to or are you just posing a hypothetical?

In thinking about this more deeply, the only question in my mind is just how far this uneven justice goes here? In a Country where people are assassinated by ambush for being outspoken or getting into civil conflicts with someone they offend, I wonder if we, as foreigners, exist only by the pleasures of our neighbors, or do we have any rights whatsoever? The other way to think about this (probably the Filipino way) is that the guy whose wheel ran over the Filipino's foot SHOULD pay. The guy with the deep pockets solves the problems, some might say an egalitarian solution (communist?). If a homeless drunken bum in the USA is jaywalking and gets hit by Donald Trump, would it not be fairer to have Trump pay his medical bills? Just another way to look at it which might not seem as unfair. What falls in the face of Western based "common sense" may seem appropriate to some very poor person who is hurt (due to his/her own negligence) by someone very rich.

3. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    what makes sense to who? 1+1 does not have to add up to 2 in the Philippines

Onlymichael, do you actually know someone (bum/jaywalker) who’s gotten run over by Donald Trump or are you just posing a hypothetical question? LOL :D

You comment & rationale got me thinking.....hmmmmm......what would be the outcome if below should happen……

A filthy rich Filipino crossing an intersection gets run over by a car that ran through the red light driven by a foreigner who’s just getting by on pension, will the Filipino justice system make the rich Filipino pay for the damage to the car own by the foreigner?

I think not, the poor chap will be made to pay, likely gets a serious makeover by someone anonymous & thrown into jail. Get a grip, it’s not about who’s got more money…….The fact is, in the Philippines a foreigner is virtually always at fault and is made to pay regardless of situation.....

4. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Sadly, you are probably correct!

Yes you are correct I am thinking. I guess we have to figure out ways not to get screwed over here.

5. jon

jon DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Simply put, it is a different culture... Placing a value judgement on it such as: idiotic, stupid, backwards doesn't change things. We are the foreigners,(white guys, Koreans, et al), we are the guests here. Most Westerners seem to forget that very quickly, and start grousing about the local culture and its participants. how miserable do you want to make your life?
    Know the risks of living here as well as the joys and advantages, and proceed with dignity (or not). It's really surprising more foreigners are not wasted( a tribute to Filipino tolerance) for being an outright a**h****.

And yes its really true you only have the rights here given to you by the Philippine system, read few if any. Any Western sense of civil and god given rights as an American or Brit etc. leave at the door.
    Sure you can befriend Filipinos in high places for some clout, but that door swings both ways.

Is this thread about driving?

6. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    ...And Filipinos just continue to wonder how it comes that surrounding Asian country's have double or triple the number of visitors or tourists from abroad.

7. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    This Tread is still about the origin of Bad Driving

This Tread is still about the origin of Bad Driving in Dumaguete. One of the sources of bad driving includes the culture of non-responsibility, and lack of consequences for errors of bad driving by a certain segments of the population. Even when the politically correct population segment is wrong according to the laws, the laws are not applied. The segments can change: Foreigner versus native, rich versus poor, politically connected versus non-politically connected, etc. The issue of compliance and the consequences for lack of compliance with the law is generally not the concern, while the populations segments involved is the issue.

The general concept that Dumaguete citizens can not afford tickets (or compliance with the laws, like the cost of a rear tail light) is so prevalent that few tickets or citations are given (along with the concept that tickets leads to corruption of issuing agents of tickets)

The "wasting" of foreigners or anyone is also a consequence of lack of law enforce and low conviction rates.

Generally I agree with your comments, other than your name calling. The population segment of name calling is one I do not want to belong too. Maybe the cyberlaw will eliminate that segment: if is enforced fairly and not politically.

The lack of consequence of following the laws of road has resulted in a somewhat lawless driving attitude here.

8. jon

jon DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

9. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Jon's post is incorrect. The my quotes and his statements are reversed.

Jon’s previous post is incorrect. The quotes and Jon’s statements are reversed, causing his statements to look like quotes from my previous post, and my quotes as being his statements. I am not sure whether Jon, during his posting, made this mistake or there was technical issues with Dumaguete Forum. But if Jon's post is correct in his statement “I am of course right” then it must not have been his fault. :rolleyes:

I would just like everyone to know that the quoted statements listed as posted by Dave & Imp were not posted by Dave & Imp in Jon's post and never would be posted by me for obvious reasons as I find them offensive. These are Jon’s statements, comments and opinions, not Dave & Imp’s. Take them as you will. But do not attribute them to me… thank you….Dave and Imp.

My apologies to my friends, and anyone that was offend by misdirected quotes attributed to me

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Agreed that is not accidents, that is deaths, meaning there are a whole lot more survivors of accidents. It is a rare thing in this country to find someone who doesn't have scars from an accident. From my experience, with women anyways, I would say roughly 90 percent have been in a motor accident. The other 10 percent who don't are too worried about getting those scars to even think about getting on a motorcycle.