Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Over Age 70

1. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Bit late now - but just for info.....It was an artery down south - not the aorta....Supplies blood to the legs....and the lack of blood for a while meant my legs are about 80% of what they were. I'm not going to do a marathon but walking a k or 2 daily is ok....They did fix it up as best they could and I feel fine except for the leg weakness....Not a huge issue at my age - I would expect worse. Wife has retired.....from her nurse job at a local hospital....she will go to Negros soon to visit relatives (finally after Wuhan virus killed travel from and to Australia) and stay a while to evaluate things. We will see....I feel fine and working on the leg circulation daily.....currently 10 km a day on the exercise bike with moderate resistance. I think on current trend-line that Bacolod or Dumageute is likely. Pity my favourite relative there on Negros, an uncle who died from the Wuhan virus.....his wife almost died and is still suffering. I really feel the loss of such a great man and his wonderful dedication to helping the poor. Just because I want people to know - his name was Nestor Gabalda....an extremely successful businessman (owned sugar and electrical companies across the Visayas)....but also a very pious Catholic who sponsored probably hundreds of young students up to and thru university. Many of which he hired after they graduated. Many of which were the children of his very own employees! It is hard to imagine an employer who pays fairly - and pays for the entire education of your children...That was Nestor......He grew up poor....and remembered what a helping hand would have been worth.

I really miss Nestor he was a kind and yet lively friend - always with an opinion - and always so helpful. China killed him with their virus - and the Phillipines lost a very, very rare angel. But his good works will live on for generations - those graduates are moving forward in life and so are their children. An amazing fact - he actually lived in a house in downtown Bacolod.....a house he bought with his earnings in the early 1980's after he had a few taxis in his first successful company....That house was the same house he died living in. Of course he made it larger and more comfortable for his wife and kids....It was still the same house they always knew though - and the same house we enjoyed visiting and even staying. Minimal security....everyone knew - Nestor was special.

What is the point of writing this about Nestor? People like him do happen...even in the Philippines.....So rare...we should treasure them when we know them.....

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    People tend to underestimate long term risk and overestimate short term risk.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Pacific Cross offers insurance for seniors, their Blue Royale Premier product.
    It's not cheap though, at age 70 you'd pay 9,300 US$ per year for their "Standard" product, and 3,500 US$ per year for "Major", with an optional rebate up to 40% if you agree to a sizable deductible.
    Premiums go up as you get older. 13,000 US$ at 75, etc.
    Brochure available here

Obviously, nobody wants to insure a house that's already on fire, so you'll need to answer a whole bunch of questions in the application form.
    I would also think that with customers getting insurance with them at a rather advanced age, the risk of getting into discussions about whether some medical problem was "pre-existing" at the time of applying seems rather large anyway.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  4. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I think we are all aware of the chances we take...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Yes I think I tend to agree with that. Whilst its important to have enough to cater for your everyday needs make sure you enroll in Philhealth to cover just in case, and have a bit in reserve. That could buy you enough time to receive some treatment then fly back home and have what ever it is looked after properly if that is required. Of course there is always that dire emergency in which case you are at the mercy of the treatment here but generally, I have found it to be ok and I think most other ex pats have. Not perfect, but this is a third world country and certain risks do prevail. If you do not want to take that chance then stay where you are That my friend is the best practical advice I think you will receive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You still need treatment once you land. If American, like myself, you are better off going somewhere like Thailand for treatment. If you are from a country that at least pretends to care about its citizens and offers universal healthcare then I suppose you could get away with less.

The question seemed to be about what should be saved up for treatment within the region. If you plan on being treatment locally you had better have a good chunk of change saved up. I certainly will never donate cash to an expat's medical bills again and I suspect I am not alone on this. If you want to live overseas you shouldn't be a burden to anyone except those that chose to be with you and you shouldn't be asking for handouts. P4 million is a reasonable amount of money to have saved up for medical expenses if you wish to stay local/regional and have a chance at living a long life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Personally, I think if you don't have, at the very least, P4 million set aside for medical expenses (especially if you are elderly) you are setting yourself up for failure.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I did the same thing - and as soon as a claim is made they find you had neo-natal jaundice 70 years ago and dismiss the claim (Source?: I made it up as an example).

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 230
    Agree totally, I don't gamble with my health concerns, that's why I remain a visitor not an Expat.
    Anybody with on going medical problems or previous major health issues would be advised to have a back-up plan.
    Chances are that anything major goes wrong, it would be a further risk, just to travel back home for treatment. Stay healthy folks.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Money "saved" is not the same as money "invested". All investments by nature are risky - and often the greater the return, the greater the risk. But I do understand that younger people need to protect the value of their assets - often the safest is in property (but I would avoid commercial currently) and the least safe is sending to a Nigerian 'prince' so he will send back $5 million in gold!

Money saved for medical requirements needs to be very liquid, not all investments are. It needs to be in a bank with easy access - but it definitely will be deflating in value as hardly any easy-access accounts give above inflation rates. That is not to say it is safe as there is no 'absolute safety' - banks go bust, governments may not have the money to replace it (unless they keep printing, but that trick will one day lead to a meltdown), money under the mattress is lost in a fire or by governments eliminating certain currency overnight.

Life is risk, of course.

But for anyone thinking of having 'safe' liquid cash, then stocks and shares are too risky, property is too illiquid (and subject to value crashes).

I hold cash in the home, cash in various banks, gold in a vault, one property and no shares or stocks (I am too old to do that).

As most members here are elderly (SORRY!) then they need to think safe - but I accept younger people can think 'risk', as we know they do.

• Like Like x 2