Dumaguete Info Search

paypal

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by expatron, Jan 19, 2012.

1. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    Do I need to read the details of opening an account with Union Bank 1st?.......ooopps You answered that earlier....hehehehehe

2. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    I use paypal almost daily. Always getting antiques, art, stamps, and coins from around the planet. Up late tonight trying to grab a mint 1840 1d Penny Black Plate 9. Will need some luck though.... Paypal works a treat...very reliable and quick. My only grumble is that the foreign currency conversions are always 1-2% in their favour. The AUD is pretty volatile against the other major currencies...and they obviously take that into account in calculating exchange rates...Not sure how the peso goes on a day to day basis with paypal....but I'm not impressed with their currency spreads....

3. Gene

Gene DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yes; I understand partly how the Company works; I did had choices on which courier would satisfy my needs; it was pure laziness in my part not to get out there to look for a more reputable one.I'm sure that Paypal is a good company on some other services. I thought it was a straight forward transaction; "I send money then my niece will receive the cash that I sent; no hazzle"!My Niece also part of the Problem; How hard/expensive could it be to open a bank account but her lame excuses was" She's a Barrio Girl who knows nothing " so at the end of the Day; I was $20.00 short for a transaction that never accomplished anything!

4. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    I can assure You the "Barrio Girl" knows how to text a friend for any info needed about opening a bank account.

5. sugarcanenomads

sugarcanenomads DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah I heard BPI charges an extra 150 every withdrawal from PayPal..dont know if this is true. Heard about this from a friend only yesterday. She is pretty excellent at research so could very well be true. She also suggested going with UnionBank instead if you plan to take money out of your PayPal and into your Phil. bank account

6. Fellow Traveler

Fellow Traveler DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Bit of Paypal Advice

If you ever use your Paypal account in public internet cafes, or if others have access to your computer, I strongly recommend you get a Paypal Security Key. This is either something that goes on your keychain, or something the size of a credit card. You push the button and it gives you a big number. You have to enter that number into the site to access your account. Without this, a computer could easily have keystroke recording software on it. Perhaps the idea of using an external usb drive with a complex password hidden in it would work, if it is cut and pasted... but it is surprising how much data gets stored on a computer that can be retrieved by savvy computer users.

As a side note, I also highly recommend downloading the free, open-source software called TrueCrypt. It lets you encrypt things on your computer. Then you can create a document that has all of your sensitive data stored in it and encrypted, including your passwords (in case you lose the external USB drive!). This protects them even if your computer is stolen.

Cheers,

FT

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

I normally just change my PP password after accessing the site from public puters.

Larry

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    For buying I have had no problems that weren't caused by my own error (invalid logins, changing credit cards/bank accounts frequently, changing mailing addresses/personal information). If you plan on selling anything in the Philippines, however, you had better think again.....this really has nothing to do with PayPal but the extreme amount of credit card fraud here. I sold load online and about 8-10 purchases were fraudulent. Even if you quickly fix these and refund or deny the purchase PayPal will lock your account and nothing short of a lawsuit will get the money back you made from legit purchases.

9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Oh, and PayPal assumes you are the criminal in any fraudulent incident. That really turned me off to PayPal. I highly prefer Google Checkout but not many online retailers accept this. Google really is a better service though.

10. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I sell online while in the Philippines. You can offer buyers multiple ways to pay, including depositing into your bank account at the their local branch of your bank, Western Union, LBC, and PayPal among others. Knowledgeable buyers will often use PayPal, but they will also make a direct deposit if they trust you. They will also meet you somewhere to pick up and pay for their item. With PayPal you need to prove that the item you sold to the buyer was received by the buyer, which is easy to do if you ship using LBC as they have to sign for it, and the shipping receipt has a description of the item. PayPal will honor this even if they try to commit fraud and reverse the charges on their credit card after they receive their item.

Selling something like a cellphone load is different though, as it is hard to prove that the person who purchased the load actually received it, which is required for PayPal to pay out when a dispute is involved. I didn't like PayPal in the beginning, as there are a lot of hoops to jump through, and getting set up to get $$ deposited in your bank account isn't the easiest process in the Philippines, but after going through all these hoops, them going to bat for me, talking to them on the phone, and ALWAYS paying me what is due, I like and use them constantly for items I sell online!