Dumaguete Info Search

Electronics & Appliances PC Repair

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by PatO, May 16, 2024.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,556 / 1,017
    My son screwed up his computer and my wife's laptop. pcdoc fixed both for a fair price.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 16, 2024
  2. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +261 / 53
    what exactly did he screw up in that professionals had to be called in to rectify both of them

Last edited: May 16, 2024
  3. aldinlapinig

aldinlapinig DI Junior Member

Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +50 / 4
    Blood Type:
    A+
    That's great to hear! It's always a relief to find a reliable and affordable repair service. If you're happy with their work, it might be worth keeping their contact info handy for any future mishaps.

4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,617 / 2,893
    Sound advice as finding anyone here who can do a job properly is as difficult as finding a virgin (also worth keeping contact info).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,617 / 2,893
    It is surprising how much an amateur can do (especially if using YouTube):

My ASUS (budget VivobooBook15 - but nevertheless terrible) has had the following problems:

1. SSD went - after about 2 years of age. I bought a caddy (enclosure) from Shopee and attached it to my Lenovo and used a recovery programme (free) to get as much data off it (some I had already backed up anyway) before I then put it back in the Asus and restored the disc.
    2. The hinges broke (internet shows that to be common) so I tried glue and then when that failed I put small bolts through the hinges to fix to the case and topped them with mirror covers.
    3. The computer suddenly locked (that is the word that came up on screen and it would not even power on) and after trying various ideas from YouTube I found that taking the battery OUT of the case for 24 hours fixed it. This is not a clip on battery but requires opening the case and following YouTube instructions to remove various groups of cables. I noticed that a wire forming one of a pair that had to travel the furthest they had made the shortest!!!

I see Asus highly rated in reviews (maybe the non-budgets) but would not buy another.

My Lenovo (now 9 years old) had two major problems in all this time - BUT I dropped it at one year old on hard tiles in an airport and so stuck many bits together with superglue!

1. Charging became a problem (I am sure that was due to dropping it) and took it to a well-known local repair shop - twice! Their repair seems to have been temporary. Then I found a guy who had just left that store and set up on his own - he fixed it and this time the repair has lasted 8 years so far!
    2. During the latest repair of the Asus I used my Lenovo and found it a bit sluggish - so I decided to restore the Windows OS (ONLY). I chose the CLOUD option (i.e. Windows downloaded from the 'cloud') and it just got stuck for hours, so then I chose the option of using the windows from the laptop and that worked. But to get back to that point I had to switch off and on 3 times (YouTube again!). However, I intentionally chose the Option of "Reset Windows ONLY and KEEP all your files" - only to find they wiped out everything (but I had backed all that up on a Seagate External Hard Drive (good price on Amazon). This is why the Microsoft guy is one of the wealthiest even though Microsoft products are crap (IMO) as there is no come-back on the company (just more work for the user).

So if anyone has a computer issue then I suggest YouTube first - but I am not sure Apple products can be fixed by an owner.

6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,383 / 1,261
    I'm partial to desktops.
    The last time I had a functional laptop was 15 years ago.
    Hard disks and SSDs maybe interchangeable from one laptop to the next now (?), that would be an improvement.
    The last 2 laptops were HPs. The first one lasted 14 months then the motherboard failed. It was such a nice computer I replaced it with the same model. Laptop number 2 lasted 13 months. Dead motherboard again!! After looking around the internet I found that model had insufficient cooling and often failed just after the warranty had expired. HP did see the failures as a problem, it didn't cost them anything.
    As I said. I like desktops. If the power supply fails buy a new one. Motherboard fails buy a new one, monitor fails do the same.
    Laptops are expensive when you are tied to the manufacturer for replacement parts.

Nobody will break into your house to steal a desktop.

7. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,617 / 2,893
    Address please? :smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1