Dumaguete Info Search

Food & Grocery Peanut Butter.

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by EandN, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Doesn't the sugar added feed the yeast in the dough? So what you put in isn't what will be in the end product?

2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    There could be alcohol at some point in the process but I think when the bread gets baked it would evaporate. After baking it's not likely any yeast would survive.
    Having said that now I'm wondering how they keep all the rhum in Christmas cake.

3. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    You are correct but I thought maybe you were diabetic is the reason I mentioned it. I don't think the yeast eats 100 % of the sugar. However, yeast will grow by using olive oil or eggs enough to get a good loaf, so you can make bread without sugar. It is not as good as my regular recipe but "it'll eat", (it's good enough to eat). And you said earlier, "less ingredients", and "homemade". If you were referring to my bread, the only less ingredients are the chemicals the commercial bread has in it to make it prettier and last longer and allow them to use cheaper ingredients and less real food and more stuff made in a laboratory. I only use the best, that is the way I roll. Long story but I had a restaurant as a hobby, believe it or not, for a couple of years in the US, then gave it to my daughter. (80 chairs, home cooking) I had people drive for 40 miles just to eat my rolls. (I make other really good stuff too, lemon or chocolate meringue pie, cakes, brownies, lasagna, chicken or beef pot pie, chicken & dumplin's egg plant Parmesan, too many to list. It's all good and I make my own stuff, even my pasta, spaghetti sauce, bbq sauce, (like you get in Texas or Memphis), noodles, pie crust, sour cream, etc. If I had been in the PH I'm sure I would have been kidnapped and tortured for the recipe for my rolls.

Sorry for the long reply but I'm a long winded old geezer and you touched a nerve when you said "homemade" and "less ingredients". I am a sensitive long winded old geezer. So there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    Yeast dies at a low temperature, I think about 115 or 120 F. It is definitely all dead after you cook the bread although a flavor remains depending on how much yeast is used. I like a "yeasty" bread. I am not positive but I don't think there is any alcohol generated with regular bread making. The potential is there but the dough would have to ferment much longer. For example Moonshine has to ferment for a couple of weeks to make alcohol. (at least that's what I heard, I would never make whiskey in the woods in Mississippi, it's illegal)

With Rum or Rhum cake if you prefer, (is that the UK spelling?), the Rum is added to the bread for the flavor but the alcohol cooks out. The Rum you taste is in the glaze. The glaze is made and the last thing you do is add Rum to the glaze so the alcohol remains in the glaze. Sorry to be a know it all, but it is something I enjoy doing and talking about.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  5. Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Pandemic-Surviving Oma
    Ratings:
    +209 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Good to know you're not diabetic -- yet!

6. Wildlands1

Wildlands1 DI Member Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +133 / 27
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    all those American brands are loaded with sugar also. even stateside its hard to find non-sweetened PB, like the old Adam's kind that had to be stirred up. The French guys bakery at the Octagon near Bacong has excellent bread, not too expensive, get there early.