How to Best Posts in Thread: Personal Goods

1. Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Pandemic-Surviving Oma
    Ratings:
    +209 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If planning to make a home in the Philippines, yes, you need "Beware of 'builder' who turns up with a nail through a stick," as in anywhere.

Facebook advertises a list of reputable Filipino builders, some of them former classmates of my sons, at https://www.facebook.com/biz/dumaguete-city-central-visayas-ph/construction-company/

Facebook also advertises a reputable non-Filipino builder, the only one I heard of in Dumaguete City, at https://www.facebook.com/negrosconstuction/

As non-Filipino citizen, you can own a condominium unit thru sale or by an alternative mode of legal conveyance; and you can also own land on which to build a home but only thru inheritance, just like my widowed foreign brother-in-laws did.

Even before construction starts, you could lose money if you allow Building Permit application to delay and linger at the local Office of the Building Official or allow it to meet outright disapproval. So it may help to be aware that, unlike before when civil engineers were allowed to take over architect work due to the scarcity of local architects (Silliman University produced only local civil engineers since 1947; NORSU began to produce local architects only in 1998), a legal divide has appeared between one profession and the other since 2005. In Philippine building construction regulations, Architects now have exclusive right to prepare, sign and seal designs, plans and specifications enumerated as Architectural Plans/Drawings, Architectural Interiors/Interior Design, Plans & Specific Locations of Accessibility Facilities, Fire Safety Documents and other related documents enumerated under Section 302.4 of the 2005 Implementing Rules & Regulations of the 1977 National Building Code of the Philippines; whereas Civil Engineers are now limited to prepare, sign and seal Site Development Plans, Structural Plans, Structural Analysis & Designs, Boring & Load Tests, Seismic Analysis, and other related documents enumerated under 302.5 of the said 205 IRR of the 1997 NBCP. In effect, Civil Engineers cannot practice architecture; Architects cannot practice civil engineering. Presently, most Civil Engineers now handle public work projects as PCAB-licensed Contractor or as covert subcontractor albeit employing an architect for the exterior and interior designs; and Architects now enjoy more private work projects albeit still having to employ a civil engineer for the structural integrity planning.

• Informative Informative x 4
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  2. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Then if you just need a small ish job doing, these bigger companies don't want to know. So it's Hello dong are you busy with your nail in the stick?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Pandemic-Surviving Oma
    Ratings:
    +209 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Please feel free to correct if I read wrong but I perceived your post meant to say an only option for small projects is the man with the nail on the stick because bigger companies or licensed professionals do not care to accept or handle such projects.

So I replied by citing existing construction regulation - to declare the legal reason that makes the undertaking of small projects,
    neither requiring a licensed architect nor civil engineer, professionally unethical for bigger companies or licensed professionals to accept or handle, in addition to obvious economic reason that small projects barely produce viable income for any construction outfit that maintains foremen and skilled workers at wages well above the minimum rate.

And then I further replied to suggest a foreman's outfit as a practical, alternative option in between a bigger company and the man with the nail on a stick, that is, if I rightly construe that your idiom refers to a skilled worker singly handling projects on his own.

There is a list of foremen's outfits duly registered with the DTI and locally licensed with Mayor's Permit for the asking from an office but it should not be publicly posted lest privacy of personal data be violated. I could also point out the old public buildings and private structures in Negros Oriental being maintained by local foreman outfits but advertising these foremen's businesses is none of my concern.

Suffice it to say that, if you are not up to DIY, there could be two options for small projects: the foreman outfit and the man with nail on a stick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    You seek general tips, I think:

1. Keep YOUR money in YOUR own hands.
    2. A 'loan' is a gift, from the borrower's perspective.
    3. Get the mindset that bureaucracy is an amazing thing.
    4. Imagine the very best bit of pork is the fat.
    5. View a road-crossing as invisible to drivers (except Mr Rye).
    6. Be delighted to have two hot-water faucets in your kitchen (@jimeve will get this one).
    7. Beware the 'builder' who turns up with a nail through a stick.
    8. Enjoy brownouts and then queuing up to pay for the service.
    9. Beware of people who have no name. :smile:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2