Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Peso taking off

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    If I may offer a build to these points - DON’T GET A DIVORCE(S)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Your graphs show that the peso is actually falling against the dollar, not 'taking off'.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Price inflation causes wage inflation, causing more price inflation, more wage inflation .... we all the know the process. The Philippines will probably not have huge wage inflation, for reasons we know, but more starving people.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yeah, and this, along with the threat of more lockdowns, a slow vaccine roll-out and local vaccine hesitancy, probably won't do us or Filipinos any favors.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Wages for people working in these industries is quite high. The average salary at Google is 130k+, Apple 140k, Microsoft 120k. Maintenance and skilled jobs at factories continue to pay higher salaries. Plumbers, HVAC and electricians are making a killing compared to what they did in the past. I don't think unskilled labor should make a lot of money but they should be able to make a living. People that are unwilling to learn a skill need to understand that the second their mindless job can be automated it will be and that their job security is very low. Low skill jobs should be entry level and people in these jobs shouldn't expect to do much other than survive...but they should be able to do survive, something current minimum wage really can't do in a lot of places in the US

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    Well......... I have always applied this rule of thumb> (If you have to ask what something costs .....yah can't afford it.) I buy what I desire and that's the result of hard work and commitment to save while your young, alive and healthy. Any teen should understand capitalism now-a-days!! Work hard and find your passion for a job you can love. Get an awesome mate and save. Do overtime, commit and focus on your capital and savings growing. It will pay out huge in the end. End meaning when you become retiring age.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  7. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 333
    One year ago it was 62 PHP for 1 £GBP , so 12% increase, still winning, WOO HOO.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I remember those days very well John. bought my land and started building our house. Wish I'd have bought more land then.

• Like Like x 2
  9. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Going through some old papers today came across money transfer April 2004 ( Just before we married )
    A far cry from today still leaves me wondering how the average Filipino can possibly keep up with the inflated prices of housing and other commodities.
    Locally I would of been able to cashed pounds for peso's @ around 106/ 107
    upload_2021-7-12_20-56-38.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    And the British Pound is 69.24 on xe.com. It fell immediately after the Brexit vote in July 2016 to about 58! Let's hope the Yazz song is correct - "The only way is up" :smile: - except that I think this is showing a weakness in the Philippine economy, from which we all (citizens and expats) might suffer.

• Agree Agree x 2