Health & Wellness Best Posts in Thread: PhilHealth

1. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Seniors in the Philippines, 60 up, are automatic members of Philhealth. There is no need for you to sign them up. They get free health care as senior citizens of the Philippines, thanks to Duterte admin.
    Bring them to Senior Citizens' office near Silliman Medical Center so they can get their IDs.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Yes, that is correct. The problem is that the promissory note must be backed by real estate or something else that is valuable enough to pay the bill as collateral. The hospital need not accept anything less. It is strange because expats cannot own land but I suppose they would accept a condo as collateral or something else of extremely high value. Many expats are renters and those with large bank accounts would simply pay anyway. We like to think of a promissory note as a simple promise to pay, but no, this is a notarized legal document that includes collateral that will cover non-payment. And, of course, expats SHOULD pay the bill. What 1st world expat would intentionally go to a hospital and wrack up P2 million and try to screw them out if their money? (Perhaps too many). But that is what you need to insure for for say a heart valve replacement. For 70+ you had better set aside some self insurance. Either that or be govt insured in your home country and be healthy enough to go home for the longer term treatment (heart bypass, other non-emergency surgery).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Exactly. And land title, vehicle title...ok. But for my passport they would have to “pry it from my cold, dead hands” (Charlton Heston) lol. I would never surrender my passport to anybody but a country immigration official or the US embassy. I believe US law makes it illegal to transfer possession to an unapproved third party. I may show it during hotel check-ins and currency conversions and the like but nobody other than the above gets to hold it. If the police take it, report the theft to your embassy. They may cancel it and issue you a new one. I wonder if one could do the same in the hospital scenario. There is one purpose of a passport: To travel across borders. Using it as collateral to guarantee payment is not a recognized purpose.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Glendazumba

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Yes, I only meant Filipino seniors----for expats, I think it is better to get a private insurance rather than govt.-owned Philhealth? I wonder. I will try to askPhilhealth about Filipinas' husbands who are expats. Shouldn't they get the same privilege as Filipino seniors? I will ask.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Glendazumba

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    No. Senior citizens in the Philippines are, by law, automatic members of Philhealth-----no need to pay anything when you're a senior.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    My wife's parents are in their 70's and they have not health insurance. No good explanation for why. I'm trying to get them signed up and was curious what the process looks like, if there are clauses for preexisting conditions and what the annual cost is. It's pretty hard to get into your 70's and not have some condition. Thanks!

• Like Like x 3
  7. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Thank you Glenda. I didn’t mention coverage age is 70. Frankly I’m not even sure if private insurance is worth it for expats 70 and above if they can get it, not sure if they can. The max coverage limits are so low for all expat plans, not sure if clients even notice that, and they only pay you AFTER you settle with the hospital. Perhaps it is best for expat seniors 70 and above to self insure as high as possible, not sure but thanks for looking into the Phil Health situation. Maybe Phil health coverage is necessary, not so much for compensation but only to get expats admitted to the hospital. But if you don’t pay when leaving, they will keep you on premise until you pay and private insurance plans are not useful in that regard!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Glendazumba

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I don't think they need to sign up annually. They need their senior citizens' ID though to avail of the various discounts.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    My wife signs her parents up every year. They are under 60 so mama signs up and papa her beneficiary. When they turn 60 (and older) my wife can sign them up as her beneficiary.

• Like Like x 2