Dumaguete Info Search

Health & Wellness PhilHealth

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by cabb, Jun 27, 2019.

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Its not just a promisory note,they want stuff like land title,motor docucments,passport along with the note.

2. OP
    OP
    cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Another good reason for insurance in the US is the negotiated rates are less than the individual rates. When I got my EOB for an Emergency room visit, the total came to about $10k, but the insurance rate was around $2k. Does insurance work differently in the Philippines?

3. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Good question. I don’t know the answer but it sure is a weird system that charges a person more if he cannot afford insurance or recently lost employer health insurance due to a layoff etc.. Actually it seems to border on illegal but I am not a lawyer. I hope the Philippines did not adopt this terrible practice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Exactly. And land title, vehicle title...ok. But for my passport they would have to “pry it from my cold, dead hands” (Charlton Heston) lol. I would never surrender my passport to anybody but a country immigration official or the US embassy. I believe US law makes it illegal to transfer possession to an unapproved third party. I may show it during hotel check-ins and currency conversions and the like but nobody other than the above gets to hold it. If the police take it, report the theft to your embassy. They may cancel it and issue you a new one. I wonder if one could do the same in the hospital scenario. There is one purpose of a passport: To travel across borders. Using it as collateral to guarantee payment is not a recognized purpose.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    You are looking at it from a different perspective than me. An individual pays more because he doesn't have the benefit of the buying power of large groups and the pooling of risk, which is what happens when a company insures you as part of a group. Employers leverage their size to get reduced insurance rates. Insurance companies are looking to maximize their profit, so they then negotiate with providers to offer services at a discount to their members. I don't see why an insurance company in the Philippines would behave any different. PhilHealth seems a bit like Medicare to me, but with a twist. It seems like PhilHealth's approach is to dictate what they will pay, not what the providers can charge. They leave it up to the member to decide how much out of pocket they are willing to pay for the quality of the facility they seek to obtain medical services from. I would guess that large Philippine companies have insurance plans that more closely mimic the US model.

6. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Got it. Yes, it does make sense from an economic viewpoint and I myself have benefited while still in the US under employer insurance from such negotiated discounts for items not specifically covered by my policy but were still much cheaper. Indeed, if you were not under an insurance plan, costs for the same items could be much higher thus giving a huge advantage simply by being in the negotiated volume discount. It would seem that the uninsured themselves add up to a large group that, if properly represented, could in theory negotiate their own discounts but that is not going to happen. Sometimes the free market does not provide the best possible solutions in terms of ethics and such is life, I guess. That’s the way it is but I don’t have to like it, not that the stockholders of companies in the industry particularly care lol.

7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Correct - and it does not apply to those using private rooms. It is deemed that such a person should already have the finances in hand to pay for the private room before leaving.

https://negroschronicle.com/hospital-bills/

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019