Dumaguete Info Search

BoI Info Philippine Citizenship – How to become a Filipino Citizen if Foreigner

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by Brian Oinks, May 13, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I would assume that RA9225 only applies to those born in the Philippines who have lost their Filipino nationality by taking on the nationality of their new-host country, it does not apply to those not born in the Philippines the way I read it...

Quote;
    Who are qualified to apply under the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003?

Only natural-born citizens of the Philippines who have lost their Philippine citizenship by reason of their naturalization as citizens of a foreign country may retain/reacquire their Philippine citizenship under this Act.
    DUAL CITIZENSHIP (R.A. 9225)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    This would be the only reason I could think of as to why any foreigner would want to gain citizenship here, but it would not surprise me in the least to find out after jumping through all the hoops you would not be privileged to owning land here... :banghead:

One thing that confuses me here is trying to work out what a posted price actually is, eg: Is this 5,000php or 5million php?

Quote;
    He must own real estate in the Philippines worth not less than P5,000,

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  3. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    catch-22
    noun
    1. a dilemma or difficult circumstance from which there is no escape because of mutually conflicting or dependent conditions.
      "a catch-22 situation"

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is P5,000.

A condo would be real estate.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    "By birth a.k.a Jus soli is quite self explanatory. It means you’re an automatic citizen if you were born in the Philippines soil or territory."
    I don't believe this is correct. I'd always heard that the Philippines did NOT recognize the principle of "jus soli", rather that Philippines citizenship derives from at least one parent, regardless of place of birth:
    "I would then have to explain that I wasn't really Filipino — even though I was born here (where jus soli — acquisition of citizenship through place of birth — is not in effect) and even though I speak the language fluently. Neither of my parents are Filipino and I'm not married, so aside from being Pinoy "sa puso, sa isip, sa salita at sa gawa," I still wasn't legally a Filipino.
    How I became a Filipino: A guide to naturalization for fellow foreignoys
    R.A. 9139

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    If you go to the original link and read the questions below, there are many who were born in the Philippines but are not considered to be a citizen due to their foreign nationality...

Example:
    Aretha says:
    April 25, 2017 at 7:39 am

I was born in the Philippines in 1972, my mother is Filipino & my dad was in the military. They were not married when I was born, but he signed my certificate of Live birth & I was considered automatically U.S. citizen. I do not even have an actual birth certificate. I tried to apply for Dual citizenship so I can eventually retire in the Philippines, but I was advise that I do not qualify since I’m not considered Philippine citizen at birth. I was also advised by the Embassy of the Philippines located in Washigton D.C. that I will need to go to Manila & apply for some type of form for the Philippines to recognize me as one of their own before I can even be eligible to apply for a Dual. Is there an easier way that I can do this stateside or any other options. The Embassy was not much help with details & was rushing me off the phone.

7. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    Technically, under current law (the 1987 Constitution) that person would ALREADY be a "natural born" dual citizen, but might have to go through a process/get a document called "Recognition as a Filipino Citizen". It's totally different from the RA 9225 Re-Acquisition deal. It doesn't confer Philippines citizenship since it was never lost , just proves/validates it. My son born in 1988 MIGHT have to go through this if he ever a wants a Philippines passport. He was born in the Philippines (that part doesn't really matter) to a Filipina (now naturalized US citizen) mother and a US citizen father (me). His birth was correctly recorded with the Philippines NSO and the US Embassy in Manila, but he never got a Philippine passport, just US.
    I'm honestly not sure about a person born in 1972 though, the requirements might have been different.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The Philippines does not honor jus soli. Jus sanguinis and naturalization are the only ways to obtain citizenship. I believe just soli is only an option if you were born in the Philippines prior to their first constitution.

Jus Soli Countries:
    Jus_soli_world.png

9. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I was curious about the colours on the map you linked to so looked it up, will share the link for the others who are also curious;

Jus soli - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 1
  10. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    My wife reacquired her PI citizenship through RA9225 after getting her US citizenship, which requires that you renounce your other citizenships. The only way you can lose US citizenship is to specifically renounce it (like the FaceBook guy who moved to Singapore), so even if you reacquire Philippine citizenship you will retain your US citizenship. For chuckles, we did a late registration for our daughter who was born in the US, so she is a dual citizen based on her Mom's citizenship.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 14, 2017