Dumaguete Info Search

Philippine population now at 106.4 million

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by mokum, Jul 29, 2018.

1. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Manila - The population of the Philippines reached 100 million at the end of July 2014 (see article 27.07.2014) and has now grown to 106.4 million four years later. - klajoo.com - Commission on Population (PopCom) boss Juan Antonio Perez III says the population of the Philippines will grow by another million people by the end of 2018. According to Perez III, 4,965 are born daily in the Philippines, which is more than 206 every hour or more than 3 births every minute. Perez III says the Philippines is in 13th place worldwide and second in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) region.

2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Sounds like much ado about nothing it seems to me, because:

That info was from 2008. According to the CIA Factbook, that number has decreased further in the last decade: "3.02 children born/woman (2017 est.)"

So the real problem is: Who is going to take care of the world's aging population in 50 years and where are the OFWs of the future going to come from?

That number is on a gradual decline as nature controls how many people the earth can support, or so it seems to me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Assisted suicide laws should be passed. If you are useless to society, incapable of taking care of yourself and a burden to your family you should do everyone a favor.

OFW jobs aren't going to be in any risk because of population limitations. Filipinos will likely start to be pushed out by countries that provide work cheaper or countries with better education and higher skilled workers.

4. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Even education here in the Philippines mostly are about dancing and singing, I don't agree with you about other 3 worlds countries have better education, Burma or Myanmar, Bangladesh, Malaysia and other countries in that category don't have a better education if any. Assisted suicide, guess you joke, no one ask to be born in poverty. Grandparents take care of grandkids 24/7 if their kids work abroad or even they work at the local market. That Filipina only get 3.02 kids in 2017 surprise me, kids everywhere and many mothers as young as 16-17 years old, still study, it's just normal here, 3 generations in same house, big family on small space, sleep on the floor, I'm sure you know that of course

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Malaysia's education system is much more internationally respected than the Philippines. Indonesia, India and Thailand also have more respected (higher ranking) schools than the Philippines. The only benefit the Philippines has over these other countries is their ability to speak decent English.

I was responding to a statement that said "Who is going to take care of the world's aging population"

There comes a time when the elderly are no longer able to take care of themselves, let alone children. Assisted suicide should be an option for those that want it. I have a 90+ year old great aunt that is having troubles and wished that it was an option (she was revived at the ER after a suicide attempt). I will eventually want that option because I know I will get Alzheimer's/Dementia and I will not want to put my family through that.

Eventually the Philippines will become a developed country...and they will have first world problems. Their culture will change with the modernization just as every country before it has.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I misunderstand you about assisted suicide, I agree that must be an individual decision, I support the freedom to decide over your own life, and I think you know already Switzerland allow doctors help sick people to end their lives in a human way, even foreigners can get help there. OTW from the Philippines will still be in high value, as you say Filipino talk very well English and their personality, accept bad work conditions. I don't have experience with all nationalities but Indians don't have a high working discipline or moral if they have they are too highly educated to that kind of jobs and the Burmese I meet in Thailand, no education at all, only used for cleaning

7. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +247 / 138
    Total fertility rate - Country Comparison Pulls most of their data from the CIA Fact Book and consolidates it into country comparison charts. At the bottom of each chart is the definitions for them. Those definitions provide a break even number that when compared to a counties position on the chart corroborates most of this discussion.