Dumaguete Info Search

Pizza Recommendations

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by DumaDon, Jul 5, 2019.

?

Who makes the best pizza in Dumaquete

Poll closed Jul 15, 2019.
  1. Shakey's

22.2%
  2. South Beach

22.2%
  3. Sideways Sportsbar

5.6%
  4. Yellow Cab

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I ate there yesterday and it took 39 minutes and 28 seconds to get the pizza from time the waitress walked away to the time it was on my table. Prep time was around 5 minutes and it was in the oven for about 15 minutes. There is absolutely no way they could get an order on your table in 5 minutes...unless you are there at a very busy time and they have the most commonly ordered pizzas already premade and being cooked.

Not a complaint, the pizza was great, just saying it isn't possible to get one in 5 minutes unless you order a basic pizza that is already in the oven.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    I'll concede it was a bit more than 5 minutes but not a lot. Before Gerry's on the Beach or South Beach Grill the pizza oven was run buy a Canadian guy (Micheal). He had the oven smoking hot before the first customer walked in the door. His goal was to have the toppings on the pizza within 60 seconds so the sauce would not soak into the crust. The crust was cooked by the time the cheese on the top was melted.
    Micheal usually only made about 24 pizzas per day and they often sold out in 2 hours or so. I seldom got more than halfway through my beer before I was burning my mouth on pizza.

Let me go off topic for 1 paragraph. The WORST pizza I ever had was at a nearby resort. The new "cook" came from Liquid Dive resort, I think the resume might have been a little exaggerated. I'll give him honorable mention for inventing the Pizza Pancake. The crust was like a pancake, there was no tomato sauce, it had pepperoni and pineapple but no cheese. Go figure.

3. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82

After Shakeys disappeared, we decided to try Greenwich. Did that ONCE because they used KETCHUP instead of TOMATO SAUCE. YUCK...

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    An interesting measurement of time - I saw someone down a pint in about 10 secs. :smile:

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    Well if it was about 20 years ago that may have been me. Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    Thank you for inspiring a new ad-on to my bucket list. I intend to go into WhyNot's and shotgun 2 beer in 10 seconds and let the loudest belch out ever. Cheers!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    The man I referred to actually had a learning disability - he just opened his gullet and poured it down.

Could your belch be measured for the Guinness Book of Records? It is about time the city was famous.

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Still classier than most at why not. Ha

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    I am having a Family dinner tonight, I will start practicing.

-As for a Dumaguete famous via a World record I already had an idea of breaking the current 45,000 persons at the largest New Years Polar Bear swim in Vancouver Canada. Would like to get at least 75,000 Dumaguetinos down at boardwalk, toss in one ice cube, and in we go.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Mikal

Mikal DI Member

Ratings:
    +139 / 12
    A nice, hot burning pizza oven can cook a Neapolitan pizza in as little as 30-seconds. Now that's a specific type of pizza, and that's a very hot pizza oven - a bit less than 500 degrees Celsius. About 90-seconds is more common of course. Much more than 2-minutes, for that specific type of pizza, which has a particular type of crust, is probably less than ideal.

At home, in our crappy, electric, maxes out at 250 degrees oven, it's always less than 10-minutes. But we do try and make our pizza Neapolitan style. Sort of. Ha!

Anyway, just commenting on the fact that 15-minutes, for a pizza, in any type of commercial oven seems like a long time. But I have no expertise in the field. Some types of pizzas / pizza crust may do best in a cooler oven.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1