Dumaguete Info Search

Places to buy a motorcycle (used/new)?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by blahblurb, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Good choice. A Honda XRM is also a good choice. But for commuting, and for an inexperienced rider carrying stuff, I don't think you can do better than a scooter.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I never got on a motorcycle until I landed in the Philippines. First bike I owned was a Honda Wave. It is a very easy bike to learn on and would definitely be considered a "starter bike". There are only 4 gears, you aren't shifting all the time. Depending on your weight you should be able to take off in second gear (I'm 95kg and never had a problem with it). Changing gears on a Honda Wave is easier than changing gears on a mountain bike.

I also prefer to ride with a passenger on a Honda Wave than I do on my Honda Scoopy (automatic transmission). Honda Wave has a longer seat. The Honda Wave is also easier to kick-start than one with an automatic transmission since you don't have to put it up on the stand.

If you are going to be regularly carrying things it is always a good idea to buy a cargo box and have it installed on the bike. Cheap and easy to find for nearly any bike in the Philippines.

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    BTW: I don't like the XRM. The steering feels "squirrely" and the frame and suspension feels cheap to me. Engine also has an "empty" power feeling to it. Felt dangerous to ride at anything over 40kph. Of course the only time I got on one was when I was borrowing it from a Filipino or giving a drunk Filipino a ride home but some of them were newer models and hadn't had enough time to become a victim to Filipino maintenance.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    :biggrin:

5. Kevlar

Kevlar DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I was in downtown Dumaguete and my friend brought me to Russi. They have a 125cc scooter at P42,000. One year engine warrantee and lifetime maintenance service. Is this a good deal?

6. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Your friend obviously thinks so. Some others think so. I've had a couple of RUSI's over the years and they are not too bad.

If price over quality is most important to you then go for it. I see it as going out for dinner with a steak on my mind and settling for a hot dog. It'll do the job :clown:

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Kevlar

Kevlar DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I guess this is the bottom line. I really just need to get from point A to B. The big question for me was would this do the trick and I guess this does.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I personally wouldn't buy a Russi. I don't trust the Chinese knock-offs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It will do the trick temporarily. It will rust and it will have mechanical issues in a year or so. The Honda Wave I bought over 10 years ago is still running strong and I abused the crap outta that bike (and I used Filipino maintenance standards while I had it). The plastic rattles quite a bit now...but you'll have that with any bike over time in the Philippines. Even my BMW and Honda CBR have bolts that loosen up/fall out due to the crap road conditions in the Philippines.

10. Kevlar

Kevlar DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Wow, I didn't know that. So, if I'm understanding this correctly... they may be getting the parts in the same place (as the Japanese motorcycles use Chinese parts) but the effectiveness of how they use these parts may be inferior to a Japanese manufactured motorcycle?!?

So spending the extra P20,000 for a Japanese brand should be worth it? I don't mind spending the extra $400 if it'll mean my investment lasts longer.