Dumaguete Info Search

Places to buy a motorcycle (used/new)?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by blahblurb, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Kevlar

Kevlar DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Thanks Wrye and Dave! I think I've made up my mind. Honda Wave it is.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    They use knock-off parts, not the same parts. They also mix-match parts on their bikes. You don't have to drop an extra 20k if you buy slightly used.

Honda Wave 125 for sale - Price list in the Philippines July 2018 | Priceprice.com

15-25k seems a reasonable price for a used one. You will be able to tell if it was taken care of just by looking at it. (Note: They don't require all that much maintenance. If the owner has bothered to keep it clean and keep good tires on it you are probably safe to assume he did a few oil changes as well. Be sure to check the bike carefully for evidence of a drop. This will give you the ability to negotiate the price down.)

Edit: Avoid any bikes that have had major modifications made, both cosmetic and engine wise. Those engines are not designed to handle the extra horsepower and compression ratios. You also won't get as good of a deal with those bikes as the owners feel they have something special and will price it accordingly.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  3. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    :clown: I hate to say this, but I must. There are many variations of the Honda Wave. The cheapest possible one is under 50K pesos but do yourself a favour. If you have decided on that model then be sure to get one with disk brakes front and rear and solid wheels (no spokes to screw up).

Yes I have also had a Honda Wave and they not only last a long time but they hold their resale value better than most cheap bikes out there. So if you hate it you can fairly easily sell it. Such was my experience when I sold mine to move up to an XRM
    hONDA.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Brakes are a crutch for the timid. Instead, use the horn and yell "LOOK OUT!" to people in your way....and when they all scatter and you pass them yell, "YOU WERE IN MY WAY!"

• Funny Funny x 8
  5. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Any forum member owns a Honda XR150L and in use for a period beyond 6 months or more to share his opinion here.
    Also thinking about this kind of motorbike till the moment I will make my final decision would be great to hear.
    Alternative substitute is a Rusi off the road 200cc. Around 25k peso cheaper but reading previous postings not really recommended for long term trouble free use. Where an Honda Wave has alloy wheels an off the road motor bike is always equipped with spoke wheels. Could this cause problems in the long term to replace spokes or wheels?

6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You can buy mag wheels at almost any motorcycle parts store quite cheaply. But my Wave had spoke wheels and I never once had an issue with them and this was back when the road to Valencia was nothing but one long pothole. The problem I had with the Wave and my YBR 125 was the suspension. I had the rear suspension swapped out for a "heavy duty" set on both of those bikes. It wasn't so much a problem with around 100kg on the bike (me)...but throw that extra 40kg of a rear passenger on the bike and you are going to be bottoming out that suspension a lot.

Can't speak on the XR150s. I have rode them, and they seem pretty nice, but I'm not sure they are worth the price or how durable they are.

7. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Have one but it's not quite 6 months old so cannot give an accurate response to:
    I got one because other expats told me how great they are. @AlwaysRt is an example of someone who has had one for a long time.

I did not buy mine because I thought it was the best choice for me. I bought it because I had a friend who wanted to rent it for a while so that helped with the cost. I found out I love it in construction zones and on trails but I am not a fan of the clutch and manual shift when going through Dumaguete traffic. I don't use it all that much so if @RR_biker wanted to rent it off me for a couple of weeks or so, and try it out, I would be open to that. (If so better contact me by PM)

• Like Like x 1
  8. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have had my XR150L for about a year and a half. If I were in the market today I would either buy another XR150L or possibly the CB150R (because it has rear disk brake, 6 speed gearbox, and efi instead of a carburetor). The bike is much smoother with the 'original' XR125 sprockets, and much more comfortable with a bit higher and wider handlebar. The ground clearance is great for roads under construction, needing construction, and without pavement. It has enough power to climb anything around here without a problem.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. nomad63

nomad63 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Those smaller bikes are hard to balance at slower speeds. Never liked them. There are some models that have fatter tires that have better balance. from 125cc and up.

10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Are they a bit top-heavy while you are riding them? I've never had any issues with the smaller bikes. :wink: