Dumaguete Info Search

Planning to stay for good.

Discussion in 'Military and Veterans' started by SpringYellow, Nov 29, 2017.

1. SpringYellow

SpringYellow DI Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 23
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My sister and her husband are planning to move to Dumaguete and stay for good. But they're wondering if there was any counselor/psychiatrist available for her husband's condition, PTSD. Do you know anyone who offers therapy or psychiatric services?

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Mental health in the Philippines is basically non-existent. There are some online options. One that I hear advertising a lot online is Talkspace

Talkspace | Online Therapy | Counseling Online | Marriage Counseling

On their homepage they say they help veterans, I think this would cover PTSD.

• Genius Genius x 1
  3. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Psych.jpg
    Located downtown Dumaguete

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I would be worried about a severe cultural disconnect with using a Filipino psychiatrists (especially if the PTSD was a result of military service) and would also be concerned that their methods for treatment would be just as outdated as pretty much all other medical services in the country.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    there was a post here by Barryrio here a while back. He knew a psychiatrist that he said his wife had a very good experience with. Just search "barryrio" posts. I will have to say however that Wrye83 may be correct in his assumptions.

6. OP
    OP
    SpringYellow

SpringYellow DI Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 23
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, her husband served the military but he goes to therapy actually with my sister. A few days ago, they discovered BetterHelp where they had online couple counseling

7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I agree with this very much and would point out (the obvious) that physical problems treated incorrectly may be sorted out by someone else, but with a condition such as PTSD it is imperative not to let an incompetent 'quack doctor' mess about. So be sure to ask around for as many opinions as you can get and have very strong evidence of competency before subjecting yourself to treatment. And I hope everything works out well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Must be bored scrolling through this....um, a few professionals shouldn’t be behind the times. I did a comprehensive two days training to the Psych’ Nurse department at Silliman Uni some 4 years ago. This involved trauma focussed exposure based cognitive and behavioural treatment for CBT, as well as a review/guidance on medication management. The training was for both simple and complex trauma. As I recall there were a few docs attending. Oh well.

Anyway, I’m licensed, can do Skype...and the fee is at the bottom, kids as well as adults.

Cheers,

C

9. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Oooops, typo, PTSD.

10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm sure there are "a few" who aren't behind the times in the Philippines....but I highly doubt they are anywhere near Dumaguete.

I have little faith in Philippine medicine and I'm certainly not going to let any doctor in the country mess with my emotions or brain chemistry. Quick way to find yourself suicided.

Being taught a 2 day class vs years/decades experience dealing with modern combat related PTSD (Philippines vs US) are two very different things. Seeking mental healthcare in the Philippines is still a taboo. The local doctors just have no real-world experience with it.

And the first time a doctor tells me I should look to God for answers (or even mentions religion) I'm out....which is why I have such little "faith" in Filipino doctors. It has happened far too often to me in visits to the hospital in the Philippines.

My comments above are not directed towards you. I have no idea your experience level or what/where you are even licensed.

• Agree Agree x 2