Dumaguete Info Search

Planning to stay for good.

Discussion in 'Military and Veterans' started by SpringYellow, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Right, right, right, on all counts... but...there are well trained folks here...and that’s not blowing my horn either. The folks that attended were seasoned, well trained doing their best, against all odds, up to date, formulation based, well read, deeply experienced clinicians. I’d back them anyday. US vs Phils...bring your team on. They’d wipe the floor. It was a ‘top up’ thing...you might say the result of 40 years + of dealing with trauma in and out of the Phils. Appreciate your reservations here, but you are out of your depth. The guys I trained had done WHO based treatments for trauma, PFA, and were up to date with Neuro based aspects to trauma. Got quite hot at question time as I remember. Yes, fwits abound in the healthcare system here, but any ‘system’ will need building upon, and believe you me they are hungry for it...it’s why they export so many Di
    Ba?

Little experience? Just like to point out that Filipino docs, nurses and social workers were first in after Hainan delivering WHO recommended PFA before the idiots from the voluntary do gooding west tried to deliver their pietious versions of “we’ll counsel you” bollox. I know, I trained ‘em. Before Silliman...I’d be a little more careful before suggesting US decades vs a 2 day class...what makes you think folk didn’t have a smatter of both? It’s why I was called there y’know...

C

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm sure there are some that may be able to properly treat mental health issue. I've been to a few mental health facilities (visiting) in the Philippines and it was a horrible thing to witness.

You seem to know where to get treated in the Philippines, and solid local recommendations for Dumaguete?

Note: I still would never allow a Filipino doctor mess around in my head. No way, no how! I have absolutely zero respect for any of their medical facilities. I'd go to Thailand if I had medical issues and wanted to retire somewhere warm. I would also suggest that anyone with mental health issues stay FAR away from the Philippines. You won't do anything but make your situation worse by doing so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    This post is not meant to be combative or antagonistic. I am only writing this in the hope that anyone that reads these posts will do their own research about mental health services in the Philippines based on credible, reliable information from world health organizations and medical associations. Not Philippine based, WORLD based. Anecdotal evidence is not worth 2 cents, although I might question the attitude of the Philippines about mental health when their solution to drug use is two assassins on a motorcycle, or being killed by the cops while being arrested. Waste of time to provide counseling and rehab if the subject is dead but it is cheaper. Mental health issues just melt away. Mind you 80 percent of so of the population supports this program.
    I mean no offense to you, Cerne, I just think that saying that the Philippines psych team would wipe the floor with the US team, is a little over the top. I also realize that you gave the nurses two days training (you said "I know, I trained em"), but I still think that your reference to the "idiots from the west" is a little strong. Neither I nor Wrye are out of our depth either if we just take a look at any world wide recognized mental/physical health study about education, training, resources, etc., etc. in the Philippines. I don't have to know anything about mental health. Your personal experience may be valid to you but you are contradicting the rest of the world's recognized studies. Please take no offense as none is intended. Besides we may soon be comrades of a sort as I myself was recently invited to do a seminar at Silliman to present the operation of a Dr.'s office from a business perspective for M.D.'s. Many Dr.'s lack common sense and some admit it. I am a retired NYC businessman that has retained a little knowledge of what I have learned over the years and if I do the seminar, which we have not confirmed yet, I will hope to help them with the practical end of running a Dr.'s office. I think that Silliman's efforts on this front are a good thing and good for their community perception. That is proven in this thread where we see some positive comments about their institution.
    It looks like the OP found an answer, I just was trying to make the point that we have to be careful with advice here, especially if given with a voice of authority, and encourage people to find valid answers for themselves. We cannot sugar coat the fact that this is a Third World Country.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Nope sorry: I don't think it's over the top or contradicts world evidence. To the point the Faculty and invited professionals were up to date, hip, and down with latest treatments...to use parlance. Willing to use evidence based treatments but lacking in resources, facilities and clout...when anyone from the West can hang a sign on their door without license that says "psychotherapist"...hence the challenge/boast. Perhaps I was over stating things...but my point being that despite the drawbacks, the hassle, stigma, you name it there is a well trained coterie of deeply professional people who struggle against all odds here. Simply writing things off as 'After all it's a 3rd World Country' is, if you forgive me, a reflection of cultural imperialism- the West knows best.

In terms of treatment I'd be willing to send you the training power points and other resources- a reflection of NICE/NIMH/WHO recommended treatments for PTSD. That should knock into a cocked hat the idea of anecdotal evidence. At the time, it was a pleasure to receive critique from the attendees about research design flaws, limitations of effect size, you name it...those guys were thinking critically, were able to stand back and treat the evidence with a well trained research eye. Again, let not the location be a confounder about the quality. (Giggle, I was part of the team that wrote the NHS guidance to clinicians in the UK, based on meta analysis after meta analysis which currently is/should be front line treatment for PTSD there - so bring the debate on about being anecdotal. I'd welcome it. It's my field after all)

I think I ought to make my point more basically: there are very capable clinicians here, given the resources they'd bite our hands off, given 1% of a chance to deliver evidence based mental health treatments. Yes, I think it fair to say they don't constitute a majority, but please, let's not write off everyone struggling hard, against all odds. Lets champion good practice, or the wish to do good practice where we find it.

Can I book into your seminar...any efficiency I can make in business is welcome, being lacking in common sense that is

C

• Like Like x 1
  5. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    I didn't say that you had no common sense. That matter can be decided by those that know you. I said most Dr.s don't have any and some admit it. That statement is a joke among some of my Dr friends and they agree with it. You seem to think that anyone that disagrees with you has a "cocked hat" or is "out of their depth". I will not get personal with you, argue about or view your qualifications, or argue about the Philippines being a Third World Country. I will only say that my post was an attempt to keep someone from taking advice from any individual except for their specific request, which was a name, no matter what qualifications that person had and that they should try to find authoritative and qualified world sources to decide about the care situation here.

• Agree Agree x 1