Dumaguete Info Search

PLDT Fibr coming to you.... Soon to open?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Dutchjob, Jun 1, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    Dutchjob

Dutchjob DI Member

Fulltime Gago, part time manager
    Ratings:
    +227 / 39
    This is a good option, if you intention is to download as much as possible, preferably in a short time.
    Like when you want to download some movies or other big downloads.
    I am not interested in that, we use the DSL for that witch is faster then we can watch the video so no problems there. Netflix, torrent all plays well.

I need to be online 24/7 for my work and the DSL is not good enough for that. So pay as you go on a sim card is not a option for me. 20php/hr = 14.400 php per 30 days...
    Most days I get by with the 800Mb on the LTE connection, some days i need to swap sim cards witch is irritating. But i prefer 999php per month and to swap maybe 5 days a month then to pay 14.400 php and keep loading the sim card :-)

But to get a 50Mpbs up and down fibr connection, witch in Talisay (Cebu) they got now, is way better. The first 6 months they double your speed to 100Mps up and down and it don't cost to much for a unlimited connection. The PLDT installers told me it will be available here in the house but off course nobody knows when.

That was actually the information I was looking for, if anybody can know... probably december 201?

2. btween2worlds

btween2worlds DI Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +27 / 4
    I read lots of complaints from the Philippines about speed. I live in the US and this is all I get about .9 up and about 5 down. Its never much faster no matter what the time of day.

3. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Through what service?

4. btween2worlds

Ratings:
    +27 / 4
    Through the only dsl service available to me at 85 dollars per month. I could spend a few hundred a month on dish service not interested in getting ripped off any more than I am now. Its not that much faster than when I was in Dallas, but I have never had a T1 service

5. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I feel for you on that. Currently in North Ft. Worth with Charter cable and I just tested my speed and you are doing better than me at this moment. I have seen speeds of 44MB/s down and 21 MB/s up though. It all depends.

6. btween2worlds

Ratings:
    +27 / 4
    y

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  7. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Based on that I'd say your out in the boonies someplace. You won't find that in any small city these days even. Can't really compare when your talking about living someplace where for 50 miles in any direction an ISP may have a couple hundred subscribers.

8. knobhead

knobhead The Knobster Infamous

Retired Knobhead Engineer
    Ratings:
    +268 / 23
    I worked in San Diego as an Fiber Systems Engineer for a Telecom and Internet provider. We also sold fiber connectivity to Verizon and Sprint Cell sites over our Coast to Coast fiber backbone.
    That said, What PLDT is currently doing is building a redundant fiber backbone to all of its Hub sites most of which are at their old microwave antenna sites. PLDT is also using a horizontal boring machine pulling in 2 conduits a black and a yellow along the hwy. to Valencia. When completed they will have two separate paths to all their hub sites and islands, in case a fiber is damaged their service will not go down. After that they will proceed with the fiber to the home project. It is coming but at the pace of a snail. There has been a horizontal boring machine broke down by my house in Valencia for over a month. They got most of the conduit in the ground and even one concrete manhole with steel cover for the splice enclosure and spare fiber before the machine broke down with the boring shaft still in the ground.
    PLDT's pledge to the new president is completion in 3 years, He promised to open up the islands to foreign competition if they don't fix their crappy service. Bets on what comes first? competition or better service? Oh and to keep with Ph. tradition there must be the third option of Neither.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. OP
    OP
    Dutchjob

Dutchjob DI Member

Fulltime Gago, part time manager
    Ratings:
    +227 / 39
    Thanks for your insight steve!

Let's hope us not having any copper dsl connection here in Camanjac gives us a "Law of the handicap of a head start" and we will be first to be fibr connected.. :o o:

That's what the boys said from this pole (image). There making all side lines here around Camajac - Sibulan where DSL was never available.

But i know not to get my hopes to high. Today switched my Globe Sim card for a Smart Bro again. Something wrong with the Globe antenna in Pulantubig.
    I get a full signal but 2Mbps untill Makati.

Luckily the Smart Tower in Bantayan is going fast enough. Just frustrating when i go to town to see my LTE Phones allways getting 25~40Mpbs.

[​IMG]

10. knobhead

knobhead The Knobster Infamous

Retired Knobhead Engineer
    Ratings:
    +268 / 23
    The Good Signal strength but slow speed is due to the router equipment installed at the cell site. ( second hand stuff from the USA and UK ) these routers have a data rate limit, so the more people that are using that particular Cell site the less bandwidth each one gets.
    The problem with LTE signals is the frequencies that they use. The frequencies assigned to Globe and Smart for LTE do not travel very far and will not penetrate buildings. That is why both Globe and Smart are trying to Buyout San Miguel corporations New Cell company. S.M got the 700Mhz frequencies, a far better frequency for LTE service. Yes there was going to be competition for Smart and Globe but the PCC allowed them to buy their competition so the Filipino people get screwed again by their government.

• Agree Agree x 1