Dumaguete Info Search

PLDT Fibr coming to you.... Soon to open?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Dutchjob, Jun 1, 2016.

1. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    If enough people demand to pay $80 to $100 USD per month for internet, then you will get fiber. I don't think there is enough of a market outside of certain areas.

You have to remember that not everywhere has cable yet because it's not worth the money to run cable everywhere, not enough people willing to pay for it, probably goes quadruple for fiber.

My brother who works for SBC Communications (AT&T) says that even if it would bring in a modest profit, they aren't going to provide service to a couple dozen houses and businesses because it adds complexity to the system that far exceeds possible profit. Like excaliber's comment above, I think it is just an improvement in the "backbone" hub to hub. It wouldn't be good business to run fiber everywhere if there are not enough people willing to pay for it. I also think that if fiber was really coming, they wouldn't be rolling it out in secret, they would be hyping it.

2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Maybe someone can also explain this! Phil products can supply DSL Internet via the digital tv cable. I know one resort which is using it in dauin,so why when I ask all I get is sorry sir not available yet? We have had digital Phil products since November 2015,

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Maybe but is it Fibre

4. knobhead

knobhead The Knobster Infamous

Retired Knobhead Engineer
    Ratings:
    +268 / 23
    Phil Products is leasing internet bandwidth from PLDT and reselling it. The main office AKA Master Transmission Center or the OLD SCHOOL term Headend, requires equipment needed to do this is per Fiber optic node. A node is the device that turns the fiber signal from the Headend into RF for coax transmission to your house. The coax at your house needs a specialized DSL device that transmits RF back to the Node which is turned into a light signal for transmission over the fiber back to the Headend. The Tricky and expensive part is the headend equipment needed to separate downstream cable TV and Internet traffic from Upstream traffic signals is expensive and so they apparently have chosen to limit this service to areas that can provide the best ROI. Plus the more nodes that have this service the more Bandwidth they need to buy from PLDT. SO the bottom line comes down to money to buy the required equipment.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. knobhead

knobhead The Knobster Infamous

Retired Knobhead Engineer
    Ratings:
    +268 / 23
    Think about how a Prism works. It takes sunlight and separates all the visible colors so you see a rainbow. A fiber optic combiner and splitter works the same way only at 1310nm and 1550nm wave lengths. Either combining the two at one end or separating the two at the other end. Only now the Technology can do it in groups of 32 separate wave lengths. So 1310nm lasers can now be tuned to 10nm separations 16 above and 16 below 1310nm. 32 lasers transmitting into a 32 input Prism with one output into a single fiber. on the receive end you have the opposite feeding into 32 light detectors of receivers. I was a systems infrastructure engineer, meaning I designed and contracted to have the infrastructure built, So I'm limited on the details of the electronics

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    And so is Phil products tv!

7. DavyL200

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Man that's pretty heavy duty stuff ! And I know Phil pro are skint so this is maybe why we can't get the DSL Internet. Not though I really ipunderstand that stuff.

8. OP
    OP
    Dutchjob

Dutchjob DI Member

Fulltime Gago, part time manager
    Ratings:
    +227 / 39
    Yes!! I solved my Sim card swapping problem!! :o o:

The Smart Bro LTE Pre Paid Signal i am getting now is faster/more reliable then the Globe. I found this promo Flexitime 100 - 15 hours internet browsing valid for 7 Days.
    I will use this in one day, five (working) days a week and for 2000php per month i got a 10Mbps line to Holland

[​IMG]

For all other internet we got a 5Mbps Globe DSL, so i still have my 24/7 internet available.

Anybody found a similar promo for Globe? Because this month the Smart works better, next month maybe Globe again. Btw, this promo is without data capping :headphone::peeking:

This way i got a fast connection, no contract and can wait until something better comes one day. maybe this december... 201x

9. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Besides the data rates that ping is amazing. I never got much less than 300ms to Germany over whatever connection I tried, even in metro Manila. On the other hand I'm rarely awake at 7am, maybe that's the whole problem.

I like to be 'always on' but don't need huge amounts of data transferred and mostly go with smart's 'big 70' package giving 1gb valid 1 week for 70 pesos.

10. OP
    OP
    Dutchjob

Dutchjob DI Member

Fulltime Gago, part time manager
    Ratings:
    +227 / 39
    I dont understand what the 7:05 AM PDT means, i did the test at 10:05 PM local time.

I guess PDT = Pacific Daylight Time